Anyone making gifts for the Holidays this year?

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Ketch, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I try to make gifts for people for the holidays every year. Been good the past 5 or so years. Not sure what I am going to do this year. I may try my hand at scroll sawn christmas ornaments if I can't think of anything else. Hopefully I can make the cuts with my old pin bladed hobby say. Time's really running short this year so it may have to be quick projects.

Anyone else making anything.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Chad, every year I tell myself that I'm gonna do that, and before I realize it December has snuck up on me & it's too late to make anything. However: I"ve been promising my wife a craftsman style footstool for 2 years, so I'm really gonna try to at least get that done by this xmas :eek:oooh:

3. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It's hard to get started doing, but once I did it it got easier, til this year. The way people appreciate your gifts makes it easy to keep doing. Good luck on your footstool. Take some pics and take us on your journey to completion.

On a side note, that just gave me an idea for my little boy whose 2.5. He's gonna get a step stool so he can get on the toilet by himself.:smile2:

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I normaly do make Christmas gifts. But this year I have been to busy with work, remodling the house and of course fishing. here is a pic. of my wifes gift last year.

Attached Files:

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bill, I haven't seen these before, buddy they look great with the darker wood accented joints inserted. I know Janice is tickled with these.

6. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Those are really nice, Bill. What kinda wood did you use, & how did you join the pieces?

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Jim I thought that I had posted them last year. I guess thats what I get for thinking .... LOL

As for joining them all together, since they are long grain to long grain they are simply glued. The Babinga on the edges is a inlay.

8. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I'm making my grandma a trash bin. She has an old one that is falling apart and she cant find another one like it. So I figured I'd give woodworking a shot.:eek:oooh: Here's a few pics I took with my phone, I will take some when I get finished with a real camera.

Attached Files:

9. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That's really nice Daniel. I am sure your grandma will love it. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Daniel, that is some fine quality work there buddy. Thank you for sharing with us.

11. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Lookin' good, Daniel :big_smile:

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Daniel, Not bad for just giving it a shot!