anyone like weed?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by skeezaveli, May 5, 2008.

1. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol.....now....i know some of you read this post topic and said.....hell yeah!!!! and shame on you!!!! lol......not really.......lol

anyways....out at beaver dam in shipman...i have run on a small problem that i think i have an easy fix....but i wanna run it by y'all.....ok.....

beaver dam is average of like 8 feet over the whole lake....at this moment the WHOLE LAKE....from front dam to back dam...is floor covered by some aquatic grass....i'd say about 5 to 6 foot tall.......now...my tried and true rigging is.....slip weight on main line....swivel.....good 20 inch leader.......bait and hook....simple and deadly.......but with this grass....unfortunately...this rig sets on the top of the grass and is easily caught up in dummies' trolling motors as they pass by....so i got to thinking......what about.....tie a pyramid weight with a big eye to the main line and try to bore through the grass to the bottom...same setup just an obscene sized pyramid on there...i'm talking like well over an ounce....maybe close to 2 or 3.......i dunno...i just wanna get down in there and snatch some of them beauties i know are down there.....the only other method i could think of is like a bobber and about a 5-6 foot leader with the weight at the bottom to pull the bait down....bait is fixed about a foot or so above the weight......maybe aim to have the bobber on top and the weight all the way at the bottom...with a bait on a leader a foot or so above it....floating freely in the watere column......is that stupid? or have i been smoking too much of that......aqua grass....lol

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    if you have to ask if youve smoked too much, then you prolly have.

the first setup sounds like it would work to me, but the pyramid would prolly collect a big fat salad on the retrieve. i like the bobber idea a lil better, its the same principle, but it would pull your weight back above the grass on the retrieve. you should check out some of those articles in the library. or even some info. on those "fatcat" bobbers. i think they are made by gene, wolf, i dunno i cant remember. (maybe i shouldnt have inhaled the hydrilla)

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The fatkat bobbers might be what will work the best in this situation. I agree with Baitchunker.

4. DOCDENNY

DOCDENNY New Member

State:
    Southern Illinois
    I STILL DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POSTS FOR A PRIVATE MESSAGE. I'M WORKING ON IT. SENT THE CHECK ON SATURDAY. THANKS.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    are you fishing for cats or bass.but then it realy wouldnt matter genes cat bobbers catch both.fix yor cat bobber so that your bait is 1 to 2 foot above the grass and let it go where it wants to.sooner or later it will find a fish.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    haha alright Denny.. I ordered your shirts today too.

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    If the grass is that thick I would think there would be much in it? I would be looking for the openings and "trails" in the grass, then float some bait into them areas...... You talking about coon-tail?

8. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    nope...i'm talking legitimate.....aquatic grass....looks like kelp.....but stemier