Anyone know...?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Moonlightn, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    G'day all,
    I was told years ago by an old Friend that when the white tail that trails behind jets is long and doesn't quickly fade. It's a good day to wet a line. Since then I've noticed several times in my life that there just might be something to it. He fished about half as much as I did and his catch rate was always better than mine was. He claimed that it's a good indication of barometric pressure. I figured maybe just maybe someone here would know something about this.

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i never heard that one but sure will be interesting to see if anyone else has, does make sense

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Your friend could be right. According to the National Weather Service (Link to article below) Sailors use the following; if contrails are not present, expect good weather. If contrails hang around for an extended period of time, a change in the weather pattern may occur.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/science/contrail.php?wfo=fgz

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Damn !!!! Learn sumtin new everyday !!!!! Don't know if its true but I bet I will try and find out.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Gonna have to make a note on that. Thanks

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    it does make sense . im always fishing so i wouldnt know but i watch the sky for plane tails hanging around and not hanging around while fishing and see which days are better ,

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Well WEll Its never to late to learn something new thanks for the infro guys:cool2::cool2:

8. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks guys! Let me know what you find out!

9. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    may be a good reason to tell your wife you have to go fishing.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Had never heard of that but worth checking into. Like they say your never to old to learn. thanks.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Learn something new everyday. I'm going to be smart one day. Thanks.

12. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    It's a beautiful day here in Central Texas..... a little cold at 45 degrees, but it's supposed to warm up in the 60's. As I'm driving down the road, I'm noticing contrails that are stretching across the sky. It looks like they're just hanging up there. I'm on the way to help one of my employees with a business inspection, but think I'll try to be gone and home by noon.... I need to test this.

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Very interesting. Have never heard of this. Just hope no one watches for the tails so hard that they can't find their bait, or , run into something with their boats cause they are too busy lookin at the sky.:eek:oooh::wink:

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That would be a very useful tip but I live in Ohio, we only have 6 days per year without cloud cover. I was ten before I figured out what that noise was in the sky.

15. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    lol well said

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the tip!
    Bill in SC

17. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    Now that you mention it, I seem to remember having good days when I noticed those trails in the sky, but now I will document them to see how accurate they really are.

18. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Only six days per year without cloud cover? I feel for ya brother

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Had never heard the one about the jet trails. I'll pay attention to that one.

As bad as I hate to say it...my buddy has this theory about cows...and how they carry themselves relates somehow to whether the fish bite or not.

It's simple. If they're laying around...no bite. If the herd is up and milling about and feeding...the bite is on.

Actually...it turns out there may be a co-incidence of factors going on...because it tends to be fairly accurate.

Also I've noticed...if the shiners are balled up on the bottom of the tank...it's typically a tough day.

If they're scattered...or towards the top of the tank...the day is usually good.

Another old one is wind from the east...fish bite the least. Wind from the west...fish bite the best.

Everybody knows that one...but is it true??

I've seen it go both ways...but for the most part...west beats easterly wind IMO.

http://weatherstories.ssec.wisc.edu/sayings/wind_west.html

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    That's one that I HAVEN'T heard before might be something to it Thanks.Being the subject has been brought up about fish bite indicators,I,m sorts Curious if when I fire the old pickup up in the morning and it Spews that black smoke out of the the exhaust cause it has 250.000 miles on it and burns oil it's sorta like a con trail on them jets would that be a Good fish bite indicator also,and a good day for the fish to bite??? Just wondering,What do you fellas think? J.D.