Anyone know?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tigdewalt, May 30, 2008.

1. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    Why do fish in a pond that normally hit hard start to nibble and chew the bait and is there a sure fire way to hook the nibblers? They are making me mad is it the weather or water condition or what?

2. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    fish are fish......maybe they just are not in the mood. It is hard to say..I had the same problem at the urban lakes here in Az.The fish would just nibble the bait and then swim straight to you. had to reel the heck out of the slack before you even could think of setting the hook...

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They might already be full!

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know why, but when fish start nibbling, i will downsize my bait. sometimes they will run with a small piece of bait, where a big one makes them peck at it.

5. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i once fish a large pond and they were nibbling and i had a weight on and couldnt catch them so i took the weight and they would take it after that and i caught 12 fish.

6. mattelmore

mattelmore New Member

State:
    Illinois
    yeah - the bite sometimes gets very faint/weak where I fish too. lighten up your setup - should help w/ bite detection. For instance; I always take a 10' MH action Abu Garcia spinning rod w/ me w/ a Daiwa 7000c reel. If I'm noticing that the bites are faint, I'll put out the 10' abu - even though it is rated MH it has a limber, limber tip that can usually detect the smallest of bites. Sometimes I'll scale back to a sz 3 kahle or bait holder hook too w/ about 10 lbs test. If you're just trying to catch eaters (max 4-5 lbs) then this should work well for you.