Anyone know where to buy shad in Ohio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ranman92, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I know almost every1 ctaches there own shad so most of you think this is a dumb question. My dad got a castnet for myself and him and I'm from Norwalk. We haven't had any luck catching shad at the reservoir so I was just wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that would sell frozen packs of shad in ohio. Also alot of times I am just happy to get 3 or 4 hours to fish so i don't want to spend that time trying to catch bait. THANKS !!!!!!!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know where to buy it up there. I would say hang in there with the net. Find yourself a warm water discharge and go for it.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    if ur wiling to buy it try our sponsor FISH ON BAIT COMPANY maybe he can set u up with ur own distribution in your area. I know they were offering something like that a while back!!:wink:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wal-Mart sells it:smile2: rollo

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Where I live in Kentucky right across the Ohio River, you can get a bait stores.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There has to be some water up there that holds a species as abundant as shad, if you go and buy frozen shad most of the time you are getting ripped off, plus its probably been frozen for 6 years....:smile2:....keep trying trust me you will find some, ask around some of the fisherman you see, I am sure someone will put you on some shad dont give up, cast nets are worth there weight in gold..:wink:

7. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    i would offer to send you some ,but the cost of packing it up for that long haul plus the shipping would probably be more than you want to spend.i can get all you want but i can't afford the rest.lol

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You might try taking a ride over to Ballville Dam in Fremont. They used to school in that area pretty heavy ... One trip cold produce enogh for the whole season if you bag and freeze them. ... Garry-

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Randy,
    I'll get with you sometime and we'll hit Spencer Lake for a shad trip. They should be moving in soon as the waters temps keep rising. I'm headed out there today and I'll let you know how it goes.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Forgot to mention this....Cripple Creek Bait and tackle at Tappan Lake sometimes has shad alive and freshly frozen. You are best off to call first and Jim will reserve some for you if he has them.

11. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    DO U HAVE THE NUMBER?

12. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Try around the dam in Monroeville, prob get some there with your cast net.

13. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Thanks every1 the more I ask and am active on the BOC the more I love it. The helpfulness on here is amazing. Jeff I really would like to meet up with u at Spencer some weekend for sure. My dad and I could learn how to catch them better. Report back and tell me if u had a good shad hunt today I would love to catch a bunch of them before out tournament on the 19th at Findley. Again thanks to everyone who responded and the BOC is the best.

14. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    when you go fishing always carry your cast net with you even if you leave it in the truck. you never know when you will see shad flipping. if you knew how many more bites you will get on fresh shad you would go the extra mile to get fresh bait. plus its a lot cheaper. the only thing i can say about frozen shad is it is one step above a bare hook. hang in there and keep trying.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Just like knowing where the fish that you want to catch are, you need to do the same with bait. Is there a dam near you? Also know that near marinas they are normally around the docks in early morning, evening and night. Learn the location, freeze some and know what your needs are.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Like the Loanwizard said Randy, Anywhere under/below a dam or spillway that has whitewater (and by default OXYGEN) you will most times find shad. If the water is real fast and high like now look for calmer areas near the dam. Like an eddy, or behind a point, bend or some large current break. If its in the middle of summer and the water is low and slow they will be right in the whitewater. They are just easier to find near dams than on the main lake or out in the main river. They just always seem to concentrate below the dams. Good luck. And be careful about tossing your net into large rocks, cause when you pull on the line your net will close around the rocks and you'll have to buy a new net lol. If you know how deep it is where you are casting, and you know there are big rocks on bottom just count down your net about 1 foot per second, and pull it back before it hits bottom. 99 percent of the time shad are suspended anywhere from the surface to within a couple feet off the bottom. They don't lie on bottom like most river fish. Hope this helps.

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i dont know about buying them but around most people catch them they have some at wal mart pre silled though

18. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    dont waste your money buying the ones at wal mart.better off using liver or shrimp than those things

19. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Or what you could do is bring 5 huge coolers and lots of ice down near Zanesville this summer and let me know when and we will get you enough for a few seasons

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got plenty of the small shad frozen, if you wanted to pay for the shipping and dry ice, I'd send some to ya!