Anyone know where I can order a throwing gaff hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Stainless, May 12, 2006.

1. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I recently started snagging a little bit and where I fish at if you get one large enough you'll have to lower a gaff hook down by rope and hook the fish to get it out of the water. Everywhere here in town is sold out and on back order so I've been looking online with out much luck. Anyone know a good place to order one at least 16/0?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    most people I know just use a large treble hook for a gaff, just tie a strong line on it and lower it over the edge...But I don't think they throw it...that would probably be illegal...unless you can convince the warden you were snagging for spoonbill. lol

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try Janns Netcraft. They used to carry them; haven't checked lately.

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Have You Checked With Catfish Connection, They Have 20/0 Snagging Hooks.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    John, if I understood correctly, we're talking about landing a fish caught normally on rod & reel; the 'snagging' is simply a way of landing the fish. While it's legal to net a fish to land it, using a net to actually catch the fish might be totally against the law. Likewise, while actually snagging the fish to initially hook it might be against the law, gaffing it isn't, at least not anywhere I'm aware of. Having a gaff with 3 hooks instead of one, and having it on a rope instead of a stick doesn't change that. Why use such a thing? There are places where you simply can't get down to the water to land a fish any other way. For example, I first saw such hooks in Florida, being used from bridges and piers; and were referred to as "bridge gaffs".

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes, there are bridge (Pier) gaffs in florida. Simply a huge Treble hook kind of thing, not just a regular treble hook tied to a line or rope.

I recommend for catfish using a Pier Net though to land them, it's much easier then using a Gaff. Usually trying to use a gaff on a rope can cut your line while trying to stick the fish and can cause other problems. They are normally used for huge, huge, fish. Or for fish with a lot of teeth that could bite thru a net.

Pier nets can be found a lot of places, best bet is to use google, or check local bait shops that have saltwater gear.

7. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Thx, that's exactly what I was looking for. I looked on there a few times but I only looked in the list view and I guess I over looked it. The store view is much easier.

8. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    The Pier Net looks like a nice setup but where I'll be fishing, the fish will be pulled up a steel wall from anywhere to 20-30 feet below. There is a lot of stuff it could hang up on and be tore or even lost.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, I know what you mean. Does sound like a Gaff is the best bet for that if you're not releasing the fish, the gaff doesn't always kill them of course, but the ones on the rope are about impossible to stick the fish in a certain place.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Na,im pretty sure he was talking about snagging catfish, in some states it is legal to snag catfish. They use big hooks and jerk them around the bottom until they hook a fish. I saw a video of it one time. In fact someone was caught doing it in my state and the gamewarden confiscated there boat for use in committing a crime.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
  12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No, he was talking about LANDING the cat's. Not snagging them, and in my opinion snagging is really a "Cheating" way of fishing, and it is illegal in most states, for a good reason!