Anyone know of any good surf rod holders (for the bank)

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 9, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Find you some 1 3/4 or 2 inch pvc pipe cut it a couple feet long with a taper at the bottom so you can drive it in the ground.Thats what 99% of surf fisherman use.

3. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have a pix and instructions on making a rod pod for carp fishing in the uk ill have to find it for u. over there they use rods as long as surf fishing rods for carp. its easy to make u can get all the parts from lowes or home depot on the plumbing section

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buy some pvc, 5/8" rebar and metal hose clamps. Use the clamps to attach the pvc to the rebar. The length is up to you. Home Depot or Lowes has the material. I have used these for a couple of years. The rebar will work better than the pvc sand spikes if you are fishing on the river bank in rocks. If you only fish on sand, then the pvc spikes work great. Good luck.

5. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    have you checked the members library it has several ideas and there are a couple of post similar to this i started one on rod holders for rocky areas and i just posted an idea im working on and have put together no pics yet sorry getting them hope this helps

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I did the same thing with light angle iron. I think it is about 1 1/8" on a side and it is perforated with holes. They sell it at lowes. The pvc is much heavier than the angle so only 5" of pvc and 18" of angle. Kind of a compromise between the designs. The angle iron version works best in dirt, for sand you need them longer. With a surf rod there is a lot of leverage pulling on that pole. You need a good holder.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Alton, My boss has built some similar to the rebar ones you describe only difference he just attaches the pvc with duct taoe says it lasts for several years and is cheaper. He makes his rebar about 5' long and the pvc about 1'.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I use the aluminum sand spike that are light and durable in the surf. PVC or anything you make will not be as light compared to a store bought one. Sand spikes can be used along any shore regardless of sand.

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When fishing surf with sand spikes it is a good idea to back your drag off to the point where it can't be pulled out as there is fish in the ocean that can pull almost any set up out and take your whole rig.
    Jake