anyone know how to oil a penn 309

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by whodaman, Feb 19, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    anyone know how to oil a penn 309

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    May I recommend Penn Grease where ever possible with penn reels and then very little and lightly.Too much lube migrating into the wrong places was and has been a major reel problem for over 50 years that I personally know of.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    If you are not comfortable taking apart a Penn 209 or a 309 (both reels are basically the same). Take the bearing screws out and apply a drop or two of some Penn lube. They are the ones with the little ball in the center of the caps.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya that thread got cut in 1/2. something happened with a staff member that edited the last few posts. when all his posts were deleted these got shucked too. now its not complete. used to show complete re assembly.:sad2:

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Corey, all the Penns I have, 209's and 309's, same with the Mag10,the easiest and quick way is just push your oiler on the "button" in the center of the endcaps, they will depress enough to put a drop or two of reel oil in. On the worm drive, I only use dry graphite dust, oil will accumulate to much "dirt". I have mine thoroughly cleaned by someone that knows how to disassemble them about every two or three years, it's worth it. I'm using reels I purchased new 19 years ago with no problems except having to replace the worm drives and pawls as needed due to normal wear and tear, depending on how much you use the reel, regardless of regular maintenance.
    If you should buy a used one, the older models have a screw on the side you can remove that carries a spare pawl, it's printed by the screw, also they have the oval molded plastic knobs on the end of the handle.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good posts, I just picked up a Penn No 9, pretty good shape but sure needs a good cleaning. got to clean couple other ones too.

8. jdwizard

jdwizard New Member

State:
    Independence, Missouri
    at the risk of sounding lazy or stupid or both,I use reel magic on all my stuff and it seems to keep everything in good shape.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    You can pull the schematic and the owners manual off the net if you look around. One old time Penn reel mechanic stated in a forum that grease on the gears of these reels can cause problems with the free spool gears engaging and disengaging. The last 209 I bought had this problem. I took it apart, cleaned the grease off the gears, used a bit of Penn oil instead and that did seem to fix the issue. Just something to think about.....