Anyone know anything about the Black River in Pender County?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Catzilla2, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was traveling down hwy 210 west in Pender County (southeastern NC) and I crossed a bridge and the river sign said Black River. It looked good and "Catfishy" to me. Has anyone on here ever fished this river? What kind of cats are in it? And is thier any public boat launches for the Black River?

Thanks in advance for any info any of ya'll might have. :wink:

Catzilla2

2. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks dademoss for that report. I appreciate it, but has anyone actually fished it and what types of catfish are in? Any info is appreciated though! Thanks again.

3. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Tony...I wondered the same thing you are last year. Dont think I have ever found out but my guess would be that there are some blues and flatties up in there but I dont know how far up they would be. The reason I would think this is that the black river runs into the Cape Fear and you know there are blues and flats in it, so.... And yes, it does look like an awesome place fish. If you get a chance to try it out, let me know how ya do and I will do the same thing. Thanks man.

4. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks kenmany for your reply. I stopped at a little convience store and asked the guy what types of cats were in the river and he told me exactly what you said, Flatties and blues. He also told me that there have been some really big flatties caught out of there, but seeing as how he also had a built in bait shop in his country store, I didn't know if he was just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear in order to try and sell me some bait and tackle. That is why I came online and asked if any of ya'll had fished it before. I do not have a boat, but my brother-in-law does, so I am going to try and talk him into a fact finding fishing trip! :wink: I will definately let you if we can find out anything. I hope I can talk him into it.

thanks again for your post!

Catzilla2 (Tony)

5. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    be careful out there. I haven't been there in years but if I remember there is a lot of shallow water in black river, especially when the water is low. My uncle has a place up there in the Rowan/Kelly area and it can get really shallow.

it is nice for bass and bream fishing, never done much catfishing out there.

6. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have bream fished and duck hunted the Black River a few times.And I have some friends that have done well over there catn.I don't stay far from there myself but I do most of my catn in the NE Cape Fear.There are public access areas off of hwy 53 just past Atkinson.Turn left after you cross the Black River bridge and look to the left for the road (will be a gravel road) but the wildlife sign is on the right.And there is another boat landing in Ivanhoe but cant remember the road.Will try to find it for ya though.Best of luck to ya if ya try it and be sure to let us know how you do.

Timber

7. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks navigator and timbercat for your replies. I look forward to trying it out soon.:big_smile: