Anyone know anything about South Bends Mudville Catmaster Rods??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by teaysvalleyguy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I need a decent rod for my next Abu. Seen em at Dicks and I got some gift certificates for them. Wanted an ugly stick but all the baitcasting ones were 1 piece. I need it to break down.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    Tea, I got one, what have you got to trade for it. It seem to be a stout rod. If you want we can trade items at the National Gathering.

3. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Robert I went and picked it up for $10, LMAO. I just hope it holds up, can take it back if anyone has anything bad to say about it.

Thanks though buddy, appreciate the offer.

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just trying to bump this, someone has to know something about this rod.

5. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Tea! One of my friends has one. I believe he got his a Wally World. He has the 10 ft. 2 piece one. It seems to be a nice rod but he hasn't caught any real big ones on it, yet. I might get myself one. I am going to get a Ambassadeur 6000 or a 6500(which model would you get). I believe it would be a decent rod for it. I don't think I want the 10 footer, maybe 9ft. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help anymore than that.

6. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have one and it is very sturdy and has a good backbone. Mine is 10 foot 2 pc. paired with a tidewater 30la.
    For 10$ you should be quite happy with it.

Dave

7. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I have one i just bought for cheep, Also came with a Abu 6000, The day he sold it to me he caught a 29lb blue ..The rod is very sturdy, Especially for the price.. I also have the 10 footer.Oh, Almost forgot, This blue was more enerjetic then any blue that size ive seen before..This one kept hitting the water and running a good 5 feet every time he reeled in about 10 feet.
    So enjoy the rod!! I know i do:]

8. festus

festus New Member

I don't really know about these new South Bend rods, but I have a big South Bend size #50 spinning reel from the 1960s (one of the maroon colored)from when I was a teenager, it works fine, and I would be confident to use it nowadays for catfish or stripers up to 30 lbs. . Also have a South Bend 6-1/2 spinning rod that's over 30 years old I still use often for crappie, sauger, and bass fishing. Never had a problem with South Bend products.

9. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    iv broke 3 of the 2 piece 7 footers i wont own anymore of them

10. festus

festus New Member

Brent, I heard that some of the new 7 footers aren't well built. Back in the 1960s and 70s South Bend was a great product, but as most other things in life, "They sure don't make em like they used to." I bought my stepgrandson a Mudville 7' Catfish Combo spinning outfit with size #40 reel for Christmas last year, but he's been too busy with sports to even get to try iy yet. It looked like a good kid's outfit, but I wouldn't want to tangle with a fish over 12-15 lbs with it. It casted great, reel was smooth, but obviously cheaply built.

11. RayA

RayA New Member

State:
    Oak Grove Mo.
    Matt Ive got a 8 ft piece there heck for stout and well worth the price.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wish I could help ya out,But I had one,my brother in law says he broke when setting the hook on a fish,BUT since he is a pathectical LIAR,I cant say yeah or ney, I will say I wont ever buy a southbend reel or terminal tackle ever again in my lifetime . its junk

13. pokin_ jellyfish

pokin_ jellyfish New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Think of it this way...... It's a $10 rod. That means the manufacturer produces this rod for about $3. You get what you pay for. Cheap= unreliable. cheap blanks break. Cheap reel seats fail. Cheap guides fail. If you just want a rod to throw in the back of the truck and not worry about breaking it, then go for it. However, if you are looking for a rod to last, spend a little more money and buy a better quality rod. This is just my opinion.

14. creek chub bub

creek chub bub New Member

State:
    illinois
    I had 1 of these rods,pure junk for the money go to wally world get you a 2piece berkley big game m-h action $20bucs

15. wrt1974

wrt1974 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Have 3 of the Mudville Catmaster casting rods and 2 of the spinning rods all in 2 piece 7ft. They are decent rods for the money, and have landed 20 pounders with them with no problems. They (for now) seem to get the job done. $13 on for the spinning rod and $20 for the casting rod on Amazon. I'm sure they have them at the local "Mart" stores as well.. I know there are better rods out there by all means but they are decent. I will say though that Southbend has gone way down hill over the years.. Everybody is going China made... Cheaper to make but sell for the same prices. Dang even Abu has gone to some China made.. It's a sad day my friend!

16. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Actually its not all bad. The new 7000 c3 are great reels that are made in china

17. mnriverfisher

mnriverfisher New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    they are nice for a cheaper rod I have one and love it for smaller cats

18. R&R

R&R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I broke 2 10' on big fish. All in one year. If you don't plan on catching anything over 50. Should work for you

19. R&R

R&R New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Duplicate post