Anyone in a boat go through the Alton lock and dam at about 5:30 pm today?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by east tide, Nov 1, 2008.

1. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    Is it common guys fishing from boats to do "flybys" (think Top Gun) on bank fisherman?

Some freakin yahoo comes blazing upriver, open throttle, to the little cove I was fishing about 200 yards south of the dam. He cuts in towards my and goes over my line (too bad it didn't get caught in his prop because 300 yards of Cortland Spectron would have been a PITA to get out), swerves back out and goes up the lock... No reason for it whatsover, wasn't fishing, didn't wave, nothing. If that was you, I have to tell you it pretty much sucks.

I had been fishing since about 2 pm and this old timer who had been watching me lose gear left and right from his car came over to ask how I was doing. One thing leads to another and he's showing me what I'm doing wrong, in a nice way, and the fish start to bite... then this jerstore in the boat comes along...

I'm 0 for 3 now. But I have managed to lose some serious lead. Today I learned quite a bit though, so I am much more optimistic about next time.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    It is hard to say, I would like to think that none of these fellas would do that, but ya just never know...... What kind of boat was it?

By th eway, where did you get that stripe in your pic?, nice fish, must be a coastal fish?

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome dave now tell me what the old man said if you dont minde i loos a lot of lead myself lol:cool2:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Dave,
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC from So.Alabama

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all WELCOME to the BOC.Now as far the issue in hand I can't picture a fsherman doing something like that.Sounds more like a pleasure boating just showing off.Have you ever tried putting a small bobber on your line just up from your hook a bit.Helps to keep hook and bait off the bottom.I started doing that and don't seem to get hung up quit as much.Just hang in there and you'll catch some fish.

6. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    ...that wasn't my first post, I wouldn't start by complaining!

I was just upset because it was just as the sun was setting, the fish were biting, and he put the fish off when he came through. I would have stuck around past dark, but I was out of gear... I haven't got my 50 lbs of lead ignots in the mail yet :)

The old timer just gave me some tips on catching bait, how to rig my bait, where my sinker should be in relation to my hook and threw me a bone with a couple spots to try.

Davey

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    As someone who's been here a long time, I doubt it was somebody from this board. It doesn't take long for most of us to recognize boats. If caught in the act, they would ridiculed so bad on here they would most likely leave. Like was said, probably not a fisherman. None I would want to know anyhow.

8. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    It was definitely a fisherman, but hopefully not someone from here. Seems like everyone here is super pos.

Davey

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It was Harold!!!!!:crazy:

Oops!!!!!........... I forgot......... he doesn't have a BOAT!:smile2:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I think your correct Darryl, he was using willies boat that day! :eek:oooh:

11. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Wait till this summer when the jet skies get out. Even if your in a boat anchored or tied off. They still go back and forth-back and forth:angry:

Gotto really love them if your bank fishing.

12. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, that's why they make 12/0 treble hooks and 16 ounces of lead! :smile2:

13. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    So far up here in Dakota fishermen are running about 50/50 as far as giving bank fishermen any respect or consideration is concerned. About half back off the throttle, move over to the other side of the river.

The other half act like they don't even see me, one guy actually swerved in towards me for no reason. Those guys I'd love to have a 3rd rig setup for with a couple oz's of weight on 100# line and a pair of treble hooks. Who knows what you might catch, eh? :)

14. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    I know what you all mean about some warning shots with the trebles and lead; we used to do that quite a bit when fishing from shore back on Cape Cod. Usually just a heavy wooden plug with 3 sets of 4/0 trebles was enough of a threat. Hit the side of the boat first as you didn't want them to snip your line and keep the $15 plug. The boaters had the whole freakin ocean there!

True story, you can google it i bet. Last summer in Rhode Island a guy in a boat was killed by a guy from shore doing just that. I think it was 4 oz of lead? Not some urban myth.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well, we only lost one idiot that won't be missed. I got no sympathies.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    [​IMG]
    A 1 oz egg sinker makes a pretty loud thud on fiberglass :wink:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Davey I cant help but think you had a run in with a pretty inexperienced person on the river. Aside from just being pretty rude and buzzing around behind the dyke you were fishing, this person is unaware of the hazards behind the dykes. Aside from the unknown underwater rocks, and sandbars that mysteriously shift postions with high water, anyone that frequents this website, and fishes these rivers would NEVER operate there boat behind the dykes at anything above a soft idle to help protect against getting a couple hundred 10-30 Pound asian carp airborn. It wont be long and your 'buzzing' friend will wreak the rewards of a ticked off 30 pound fish either hitting him, or tearing up his boat real good. Now for those of us that lose there marbles on occasion, :roll_eyes: and desparately need bait, a few donuts behind a dyke can wreak dividends. :smile2: Of course, this should never be done when bank fisherman are present. Not to defend the guy, which I'm not, but it is possible he didnt see you at first. I have ran up on bank fisherman unknowingly a few times before, however when I do, I immediately go to a soft idle, and I will personally see to it that I apologize for running up on them, and explain I honestly didnt see them fishing. I think this guy basically didnt have a clue.