Anyone Ice Fish TN Waters?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 3, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Our swimming pool is frozen. It won't hurt the pool liner, however. I held onto the rail and put my foot on the ice, putting a little weight on it. It didn't hear any ice cracking noises. So I got brave and put the other foot on the ice, let go of the rail, and stood on the ice and it still didn't break or budge. I weigh about 210 pounds and the ice looks at least 2" thick.

We're only supposed to get above freezing once this week. According to the Knoxville weather, it might hit the high for the week on Wednesday afternoon, maybe 34 degrees. The remainder of the week highs are predicted in the mid to upper twenties. :eek:oooh: Lows in the teens and single digits. :embarassed:

Has anyone ever found ice thick enough on a body of water in TN for ice fishing? My grandfather, who would be 119 years old if living, used to tell me about ice fishing somewhere around here with his brother when they had to bust ice. This was before dams were built, so I imagine it was on the Clinch or Emory Rivers because they are close.

When I was a teenager (and some 40-50 pounds lighter) we used to walk on creeks and ponds and try to ice skate with street shoes. We never tried ice fishing. I'm thinking you're supposed to have at least 4" to 6" of ice to walk on it, and maybe 10" to drive a vehicle on.

Reckon anywhere around will have enough ice for this later this week? :eek:oooh:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. festus

festus New Member

The swimming pool is completely frozen now all over. Our female cat was having fun walking on the ice and playing in the snow on top. I threw the sealing ring off a gallon jug of milk on the ice and she had a good time playing hockey with the ring. :smile2:

Yesterday on the In Fishermen they were ice fishing for channel cats in Minnesota. They were small eater size, maybe 3 and 4 pounders. I had the sound of the TV cut off listening to a CD, but it looked like they were using cut bait about the size of a quarter to a half dollar. They were keeping most every fish they caught and that should be some delicious dinners for them!!