Anyone here use St.Croix rods?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Sep 16, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm just curious cause almost everyone I fish with around here have gear like G.Loomis, Sage and I use almost exclusively St.Croix gear myself. Must be just where I live, being trout and walleye territory and no Big Flatties to contend with. I noticed most people on here like those ugly stiks? Why is that? Might get me one.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The name for ugly sticks fully describes them. The are on the ugly side. But, they are tough and inexpensive, thus the attraction for catfishermen. Should a big cat cause you to bang the rod against the side of the boat, you don't have to be concerned that the rod will break because it has a nick or bruise like with a graphite rod. And, if it should break (a rod/reel dealer tells me that in 25 years, he's never seen a broken ugly stick, though they sell thousands each year), you are out, in most cases, less than $30 if the dealer won't take it back and Shakespeare denies workmanship caused the break. Compare that to the cost of replacing $150 St. Croix.

If you are used to St. Croix rods, you will find that Ugly Sticks lack sesnsitivity and are heavy in comparison. The guides are no where near as good of quality, and the action is a bit more like a noodle, especially in the type of rods used for catfish up to about 15 lbs. The rod is what it is, inexpensive and tough.

If you can afford the cost, you may want to look at the St. Croix Premier glass line, though it it doesn't appear that in casting and spinning rods any are made that will easily handle more than an ounce or so of casting weight well.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I use the 6'6"Legend elite walleye, 6'6"Legend tounament bass edition, (11'6")Wild River Steelhead/crappie, 8' Premier Flyrod.