Anyone here use jigs for Bream?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by skiptomylu, Jun 16, 2006.

1. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I never try jigs for bluegill,nightcrawlers work too well around here.You say you tied those jigs,Those are some mighty fine looking jigs,I may have to give it a try.Thanks for sharin your work with us.

3. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

Yes I hand tied them and thanks for the complement.

I hand tie Crappie jigs and sell a few sometimes and just thought to my self one day when I was out fishing and caught a couple Bluegills on my Crappie jig; this should work for Bream and then picked up some 1/32 oz. jigs from the guy I buy my jig heads from. I ask him if he had any with #6 & #8 hooks instead of the #4 hooks I get for Crappie.

So that is how I came up with hand tying some jigs for Bream. I just have not had the chance to try them yet, but I think they will do well. So the next time I run into a bunch of them Bull Bream I don't have to go get any bait, just chunk one of these at them.

If you have the tools and materials (or the inclination to get some)you should try your hand at tying some jigs.

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    THE number one bait for bream on Reelfoot Lake:
    Black 1/64th oz Grizzly jig tipped with waxworms. Has been for about 15 years. Check out thier website for some sucessful "patterns". I like the jigs in the upper left of your pic, I would give them a try.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That does sound like a good idea.I wouldn't have the slightest idea as how to start,or the tools or materials.I have a pond close by that is loaded with warmouth and bluegill.I can go there with crawlers and catch a cpl dozen an hour.I think I may have to invest in some jigs and give them a try.I've caught some good sized warmouth out of there,hopefully the state record is there-1.62lbs.I'll go for him when I'm catching my bait.I've never really fished with any artificial bait,but I think I'll give the jigs a try there.You are very welcome for the compliment,I call them when I see them and those look like some good jigs.

6. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

Just to give you guys an idea of the color choices I have here is a pic of some Crappie jigs I tied. Most of these are 1/16 oz.

The Chartreuse for some reason on the pic all come out the same, but some are Yellow Chartreuse and some the Green Chartreuse.

The 2nd pic is a more close up and the top one is Yellow Chartreuse tail and I call that one my Christmas jig.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/Hand%20Tied%20Jigs/DSC00137.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/Hand%20Tied%20Jigs/0d12c51c.jpg

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'am still stuck on tight lining them with nightcrawlers, but i've talked to alot of people at the lake i fish and they use tube jigs tiped with bee moth, cricket, and red worm.

8. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those are nice looking jigs. Wish I could do that. Backwater is right. The first time I went to reelfoot the resort owner told me what to try. Just a black hair jig. Not sure if it was made by grizzly. Took them out and wore the bluegill and crappie out with them. They work just as well in Indiana. A lot of days I'll catch more on the jigs than live bait.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    When i catch brim ill usually have a can of corn with me, but when i dont have corn ill use a jig. the smaller the better - they work real well. i try to just drop it in the water while standing over a dock or something and i just tip my rod up and down in rapid succession, then pause. they really hit that good. nice jigs by the way!

10. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

From my experience with Crappie I catch bigger Crappie with jigs. Crappie will hit a jig really fast even if they are not feeding just to see what it is. With minnows they hit them when feeding.

When fishing brush piles we just pull up and drop a jig down and if we don't get a hit within a couple of minutes we move to the next spot. Most of teh time you get 3-6 off a brush pile and move to another. This also leaves the brush pile with fish for the next day or so. I also catch more Catfish than you may think on these jigs.

My favorite way to catch Crappie in the Spring and Fall is trolling with my troll motor and again we catch more and bigger fish that way in that time of the year.

When night stalking I use minnows because we use lights in the water and it takes time to draw them to you so we are not moving around then. Soon after setting up the bait fish show up and not long the Crappie, Cats and Yellow Bass.

11. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree about jigs catching bigger crappie. If you want quantity go with live but bigger fish seem to hit jigs more especially when trolling. My wife fishes with me all the time and she does not like trolling so I don't get to do it than often. I usually use a Kentucky rig when I do get to fish that way. Great way to locate the fish to.
    Mike

12. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I catch a lot of Blue Gill on 1" tube jigs. Red and white works well for me.

13. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Keystone Jig Minnows and also baby crawfish, both made by Renosky lures. Also have had excellent luck this year with Trout Magnets for bluegill as well, with chartreuse/white being the best producer followed by black/green. God bless.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used jigs in Texas for gills when I lived down there but for NC it seems to crawlers and gulp maggots that catch them best for me.

15. skiptomylu

skiptomylu New Member

Thanks for everyones input!

Skip

16. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Skip, try a few jigs with squirrel hair tied on it. Best for bream I have tried.

17. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use small curly-tail jigs, the 'gills tear em' up.

18. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The gulp maggot are bream killers. I prefer artificials though.

19. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use 2" black swirl tail jigs that have a small spinner, on my ultra light.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For years I used 1/32 oz. plain lead head jigs with 1" Sqirmin" Grubs from Bass Pro.I like the jigs with the little spur that helps hold the grub on.The white,yellow and chartreuse colors work best for me.they are great for ultra-lite casting or trolling.peewee-williams