Anyone here ever dealt with identity theft?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flatheadhunter33, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I got a chance to call my wife while in port a few days ago. It was too late in the evening to talk to with the kids. My wife asks me if I have been using one of our credit cards for a big purchase. It seems someone tried to use my "Chase" card to make a $3,000 purchase. The way she found out was that some company ( I assume it was the credit card company?), called her at home and asked her if we were making a purchase for anything in the amount stated. She told them "no" (knowing that I would never make a purchase that big without letting her know in advance) and they thanked her. Before they hung up she asked why and they told her "not to worry". And that was it. I am thinking that we need a credit check? How should we approach this? I dont make any online purchases except on the rare occasion and that was with a Master Card that I dont have anymore...

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    First of all, Chase should have an online site that will display all of your purchases in the last 90 days, maybe longer. You can ask for a paper copy of all purchases in the same time frame and they should provide that info for free. I was targeted 2 years ago via email by a scam that looked like paypal, but actually wasnt. They got into my paypal account and tried to rack up some $$$ quick. Fortunately I have a daily limit on that particular card, and they tried to exceed it with the first transaction. So the company froze the account, called me and I instructed them that I would need a new credit card, with a new number, at no charge to me. Most banks will do this, they dont want to have unhappy customers with an account with the security breached.

Its sad, that this has to happen, but it also keeps me employed to make people new cards, all the time. At least 15% of the volume in the last 2 years is because of some sort of breach in peoples accounts(15% of 226,000,000 in one year). And that percentage is expected to grow over the next several years until the industry can come up with a fool-proof method of keeping our accounts and identities secure.

You could place a daily limit on that card, and then you will have to notify the bank at the time of a large purchase. They will have either a secure password, or another form of securing your purchases at the time of any or all items purchased. It would be kind of a pain at the time of purchase, but it will also give you peice of mind.

Hope this helps!

3. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dameon,
    I have dealt with several identity theft situations over the last few years. What I have read in your situation is somewhat alarming. The reason being, It is not normal for a credit card company to contact you by telephone to confirm a purchase and then not provide you with the details of why they were calling to begin with.
    I would recommend that you or your wife contact the credit card company via the telephone and first confirm that they actually did indeed contact you in regard to your account. I would also warn your wife that this may be the first stage in the attempt to steal your identity. What I mean is this..... The people who make their livings stealing from others Credit Cards know that the world is becoming educated and for the most part will not give out information such as credit card account number, Social Security Etc. over the telephone to people who call and ask for it. However people will call one day and act as if they are your credit card company and doing you a favor by saving some big purchase like they stated in your situation, when in all actuality that's the first step in the scheme. They usually will call back a couple days later and mention that someone is trying to make another purchase or they will advise that they are investigating the original purchase that they called your wife about a couple of days earlier and then they will start going through a bunch of questions eventually asking for pertinent information such as your account number and Social Security number. Most people still won't give out that information, however alot of people will fall right into the scheme because they actually believe that there credit card company is working for them to prevent the bad guys from stealing there identity, never realizing that the person on the phone is not an employee of your credit card company at all.
    Anyway, I would contact my credit card company immediately to confirm that they actually did contact your wife and if they did I would personally ask them to disclose the reason for them contacting you since it is your account, I believe you should be entitled to that information.
    As far as having a credit check done, that will not provide you with any information as far as if someone is or has stolen your identity. The credit check will just state if you pay your bills on time etc.

Hopefully this will help you out some,
    Garrett

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    very Good advise garrett Thanks

5. stitch

stitch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes, I had a problem a while back. When the credit card company called your wife, they should have provided her with the beginning of some information and had her finish it so that they could varify that it was really her they were speaking with. For, instance, say your address is 934 S. Indiana St. New York, NY, they might tell her that her address is S. Indiana St but ask her for the house number. Then when she told them 934 they would probably ask two more questions like this just to be sure. ID theft may call your house acting like a legitament company but if they do not do the steps i mentioned then Don't Give them ANY info! Also, card swiping is a big thing. If you, say, go buy some gas in a convenient store and you give them your card so they can run it for you, and then a corvette drives by outside and you turn to look at it. When you turn back they give you your card and you walk out. Cool beans, right? No. When you looked away for just a second, that employee may have simply swiped your card through a very small machine on his belt, or even under the counter, that stores your card # and stuff. Then, he sells the information to someone else and that person makes a plastic card that looks just like yours. Then they go and use an authentic looking card while you still have your original in your wallet. Never ever ever let your card out of your sight even for a second- cause that's all the time it takes- even in restraunts. Especially in restraunts! Hope this helps for future awareness. :smile2:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The threat of Identity theft is there all the time. What gets me is the amount of junk mail that a person receives with your and your wifes name, address, city, state and zip all ready printed inside the envelope. Some are credit card applications, others are for home siding, for ARPA membership, Life Insurance, Auto insurance, etc. To me, that should not be allowed. Actually, I don't think any of the junk mail should be allowed. If I want to join a record club, I can send the form to the company... I don't need or want three or four company's contacting me about joining their club. Thats just more crap I have to shred. I guess that junk mail is what is keeping the post office in a position they can ask for a postal increase every two or three years. I wish my retirement income went up as fast as a postage stamp. LOL

7. Don1

Don1 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Dameon you can get a free copy of your credit report by going to WWW.Annualcreditreport.com You are intitled to get a free report from each of the three credit reporting agencies once a year. What you can do is get a report from say Equifax now,Transunion in four months,Experian in four months ect. This way you can keep an eye on what is going on with credit and not have to pay some company for something you can do yourself.You may also want to put a fraud alert on your credit card files.Contact the fraud alert department of the above three credit agencies.What this will do is make the credit card companies have to contact you before any line of credit is opened in your name. These fraud alerts do expire, Experian in three months,Equifax six months,Transunion 12 months. If you are at a store and sign up for instant credit for a purchase make sure your wife is at home to answer the phone or you will have to wait.Or you could give the reporting agencies a cell phone number to contact you. Good luck!

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    My feelings exactly..... we don't need more faces on stamps... get rid of this advertising BS that they get away with.... save some trees...

bayrunner ray

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To my BOC Brothers for their valuable input into this very serious threat that we all face. It's a crying shame that Honest people are getting to be more and more in the minority group and crooks are the Majority! Thanks for all the helpful advise. I truly appreciate it!:big_smile:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some very good information has been posted.

This is not about credit cards but it's to do with identity theft. Several years ago when we lived in TX a female called my wife, she said she worked at this store, that we had won something and asked for her Social Security number, my wife refused. Our bank called the next day and asked if we had made a $6000 withdraw. The bank never volunteered any information until my wife demanded to know why they were calling. They said a female (of different race) withdrew $6000 from our checking account. It was done at a branch Bank in another town 25 miles away. She had a fake TX drivers license with her picture and my wife's name. The bank gave it to her in CASH! (not sure I've ever seen $6000 cash) Of course it didn't cost us a penny and we never heard another word about it. It had to be an inside job for we very seldom have that much money in the checking account longer than a few days.

Online purchases are very safe if one makes sure they use a secure site when making purchases. In fact, online purchases are safer than giving your credit card to a waiter or waitress. One of the local restaurants we eat at had that problem but the thief didn't use our number.

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    this is very true, a cashier in denver area was swapping cards and talking money from them. A lady noticed and reported her. Come to find out, the cashier had been doing this for a while to countless amount of people. i will certainly be keeping a better watch on my cards. Thank you so much for all the informative information, its all so very useful.