Anyone heard if lowrance is gonna have a Side imaging unit soon??

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by catcrazed, Feb 4, 2009.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just curious if anyone has heard if lowrance is going to have a side imaging unit soon?? The 2-d on the humminbird sucks so to get what I want I would have to have 2 different graphs on the boat and I hate to do that. Would just be nice if Lowrance would just come out with a Side imaging unit soon!!!! Anyone know???

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    humminbird has the side imaging technology patented so the way i understand lowrance cant do it untill the patent expires or they discover new technology..

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Why do you think the 2d sucks on the humminbirds?

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    all i can say is humminbird is awsome

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they will have it in years down the road. I think humminbirds Patent will run out around 2020.
    But like others why does humminbirds 2-D suck? Shoot mine shows fish, even the arches. I can track my bait while fishing . Even watch a fish hit the bait.
    Also had the fish ID on. As you hear people saying the fish ID does not work. Well if the Arches are belived. And each arch also has a fish ID. Could both be wrong? Or does the fish ID also work?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/may2007017.jpg
    A drop in 2-D showing fish
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/shilohhole.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/Octblues09033.jpg

It is different then what your used to. But if you give it a chance. You may well find out its as good.
    Pete

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    The only thing I don't like about my Humminbird is the shape of the water blowing Transducer. and don't tell me i've got it set wrong cause I don't believe it. Mine is the 787c2i. I wish I'd bought a Lawrance with the same capabilities and power. and, I do have two on mine, I have a eagle 520c on the front.

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Is your transducer throwing a rooster tail Carl? I though it was only the bigger SI ones that had the problem.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Humminbird could also license their technology to Lowrance and collect royalties, but so far we haven't seen any signs of that happening.

For what it's worth, I didn't like the Hummingbird "2D" at first compared to a friends Lowrance, but it's grown on me some as I got used to it. I read somewhere that Humminbird was going to offer a plug that fits over the SI transducer to eliminate the roostertail.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Fill the hole in the transducer mounting bracket with RTV, that will eliminate a LOT of your roostertail.:wink: Black RTV looks real nice. Smooth and sculpt the leading edge of the RTV to smoothly channel the water around the transducer.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Darryl, could you enlighten me on what RTV is? I'll have to try that out.

Thanks

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I will belive it when I see it out. but here is some info on it.
    http://www.ebuyersworld.com/Lowrance-Side-Imaging-s/557.htm

This is a quote(By the way, Lowrance is definitely coming out with the SI. It is a black box module that will use the new HD sonar/gps heads. Network 2000 application.
    Mid summer product release. It will be a black box + transducer +HD Head +GPS puck.))

So buy a $3000 unit then $1200 to $1500 extra to get the SI. LOL
    I will believe it when it comes out. Also Lowrance could have had this. But they did not think the SI units would sell. So they passed on it years ago. Go figure. LOL Also from what I can find out the unit will be showed during the Bass masters classic. Then hit the market late summer or fall.
    PEte

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The RTV(Sealant in a tube) is used to close the gap between the transducer and the bracket. Stops the Rooster tail on a lot of the units.
    Pete

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a hummingbird 3-D matrix and my transducer is huge and throws a rooster also, i'll try the calking trick

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I received a plug from HB for mine, but prior to that I just wrapped some electrical tape around the mount where the water was passing through. Worked just as well...:smile2:

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I read that a few weeks ago. And part of it is mounting, Part is the transducer that sees left, Right and down at the same time. Also the part where they figured out how to allow us to mark the waypoints say 100ft left of the boat and 150ft behind what we have passed. Then the part about it not being a tow behind model, but attached to the boat. Then a lot more stuff.
    But from what I hear Lowrance SI will have to have 2 transducers, one looking down and the other left and right. Also you will have to own or buy the HD unit. Then buy the extras for it.
    Sounds to me that humminbird and Lowrance may be in a war soon. That is what we need. Just think what is next if Lowrance does work this out?
    But still not going to be holding my breath until its out.
    Pete

17. mofishin

mofishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    From what I have heard, Hummingbird has the patent for about 5 more years.

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I thought they held the patent for a total of 10 years. :cool2:

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Patents are good for 20 years from the date filed. They filed it Aug 2 , 2005. So the patent will expire Aug 2, 2025.