Anyone hear what happened to a record sized brook trout caught?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by delawareriver, Mar 7, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i read pennsv. news magazine all the time and 3 weeks ago there issue had an article on a record sized brook trout being caught. i believe it was about 8 pounds beating the previous record that was in the 7 range. anyways last week there was a second article that the guy caught it and mailed in the forms for the state record and comes out he caught the trout in a resivore. obvisouly back in early febuary when this fish was caught that it was in the extended ytout season. i guess what PA is saying that the fish was not caught in aproved trout waters so he could not legaly keep the fish (i didnt know even that and i always make sure to read the book). what a bummer for the guy especialy since there was a creek that entered the resivore that was aproved trout water. nice catch for the guy and its to bad that it wasnt a record. overall its a good article if you get a chance at reading it

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I saw that too. I was happy (when I read the first one) that the record fell but man what a bummer for that guy to find out he was in the wrong. I forget, did they end up confiscating the fish? Thats something I didnt know was that the extended season applies for approved trout waters only. I always figured its a trout, its extended season. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i bet the reasoning is for native trout, they dont want people taking fish from streams that have native trout in them since the native trout streams arnt on the aproved trout water list. i think he got to keep the fish but i think he ended up with a fine.

4. PAcatty12

PAcatty12 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Where was the fish caught at again?

5. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    not sure ill look it up and reply in a few minutes

6. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I heard the same thing about the fish not being caught in "approved" trout waters. What a joke. You tell me if I catch a record trout and it is not "approved" trout waters, it isn't a record. Ridicoulus!!! What makes "approved" trout water? Trout fishing has got real crazy for me. I used to love it, a couple years ago I hung up my creel and fly rod and went crappie fishing on the trout opener. I enjoy it alot better!LOL. "approved" trout water to me means you must give the good ole commision some more cash.$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Everything in Pennsylvania is about the all mighty dollar and less on the fun. Crazy!!!!!:crying:

What if I catch a record flathead in "approved" trout waters? is it a record or just a dissapointment?????LOL:p

7. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i was gonnas say i agree but if you look at in their view. what would you think if a guy caught a record size cat in a closed area (due to anything like trophy fish waters or letting them spawn or what ever) and the guy kept it. how would you feel then, i personaly think i would be upset if a guy kept a record catfish out of season (not that we have a closed season in PA)

the law was not ment for this occurence but rather tp protect native trout. all waters that PA stocks are aproved trout waters or on other regulations. this means that if you caught a trout outside of the aproved trout waters that A- it shouldnt be there or B is native. in this case it was alittle bit of both because the fish must have been stocked in a the creek above but also survived all last season.

thats just something to look into

8. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I don't really understand, but if a hatchery stocked fish reaches record standards, in anywater open to the public, what the hay! I don't really care, I just think as long as it wasn't raised or caught in private waters, then why not let it be a record. But like I said, I don't really care, (because I guess I didn't catch it)LOL.:)

I have caught big trout out of the allegheny river by accident. Far as I know the allegheny isn't stocked, so a record size fish doesn't mean to much. The allegheny is stocked up north above the resovoir, I don't know if the allegheny as a whole would be "approved trout waters".?.?.?

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea it is very confusing but i guess we are having a much easier time with the fishiers then there having with the hunting. everyone is complaing about the deer herd being to big, being to small, being to hard to shoot a deer, beeing to easy to shoot one, to many does being killed, to many bucks being killed, to many roadkills, and the list goes on at least we are complaing when i guy catchs a record fish and doesnt get credit for it.