Anyone Having Problems with Coyotes?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by festus, Oct 23, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

I know there are some in my area. A neighbor about a half mile away has a missing cat. She saw a coyote about a quarter mile from her house in a field. I was fishing their pond the other day, and heard one up on Walden's Ridge. It was definitely a coyote, not a fox or a dog.

If they become a problem, how's the best way to get rid of them? I'm not much of a hunter, but we have live traps but I betcha they're too smart for that. Any thoughts?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    main problem ive had is that there is always a lot more than you originally think..my uncles way is to shoot a few and scare the rest off..but they will come back eventually..his way takes forever:smile2:

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    bout the best way i know of doing it too:tounge_out:

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    They're great target practice.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    then you got to clean em adn quarter em...

6. festus

festus New Member

I'm well stocked up on ammo since we got you know who in office, so I just may get a little excercise this winter. We got 17 acres, and my neighbors will want to get rid of these nuisances anyway.

Are coyotes afraid of BIG dogs? Our neighbor has a half dozen Great Pyrenees running with their livestock.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    around here they are...

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    biggest problem i ever had with a coyote was gettin it to stand still long enuff to kill it. We have plenty here if anybody needs some.

9. festus

festus New Member

I'm pretty sure TWRA stocked the dern coyotes here. They have stocked cougar, wolf, and bear. Actually, I'd rather have the cougar, wolf, and bear than the coyotes. I don't deer hunt because it's just too easy. I could shoot one out the bedroom window, no sport in that.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    german shepherds are GREAT coyote purgers:wink:

11. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Problem solved :smile2:

Attached Files:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Call your local sheriff, or animal enforcement ,, Good entertainment, and may cause the coyotes to laugh themselves to death,,,
    however,, cats, and small dogs,, ARE Good coyote BAIT

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Other than trying to call one in and shoot it or get a trapper that knows what he's doing to come help you out,I don't know what to say,they are like the mammal version of a cockroach,so you might as well get used to them,they are beautiful animals,they won't take on a big dog one on one,but at their choosing the time and place will lure a big dog out away from people and the pack will takem' down. but usually they just run away,unless your running Irish wolfhounds and greyhounds trained to hunt yotes. They will drive the local fox population closer to civilization. But to flat out remove yotes from your area,sorry man folks been trying to do that for centuries and the yotes are still there. I actually admire them,and love to sit out at night and listen to them yipping and howling to each other,I trap a few and shoot a few each year just to keep them down a little,but forget about wiping them out.

14. festus

festus New Member

Hey Slatebar, that's an M-1, isn't it? I got one of those!! But I don't have a scope.

15. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Good luck hun.. I been haveing same problem altho I have spotted yotes only 20 yards from my front door little over a month ago. Two very large ones just stood there while my two large dogs,(male Australian Shepard and a female Pitt mix) 15ft away from them, barked their heads off and they were not scared at all. I have weenie dogs too and If I let them out after dark for about 15 to 20 minutes, I can always exspect a coyote visiting closely at my house that night within a few hours. When I made the post about them I got answers from shoot them, buy electronic boxes to scare them off to call the local GW. Goodluck!

16. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    they are thick in oklahoma.

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Like it's been said, " If this world will come to an end" the only survivor will be the coyote eating the carcass of a human!!

They're a nuisance around here too. Traps and guns will take a few, but the reproduction rate outcomes the killing of them. Just have to live with it and kill as many of them you can.

18. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Springfield Armory M1A

Like someone said you will never be able to totally wipe them out. I would hate to ever see that happen. But would love to see just a little more control on them. Our rabbit, grouse and groundhog population around here are really taking a beating from the yotes. In this area I know of only one other guy who targets them for hunts.

"A feather fell from the sky. The eagle saw it, the bear smelled it, and the
    deer heard it, but only the coyote did all three"

19. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    People have learn not to let there pets run free in my neighborhood, or they can disappear :sad2: I see coyotes often in areas were it's illegal to hunt or trap them. :crazy: I know sometimes they are and can be a pain. :sad2: I just accept those facts and I know where I live, they where here before I was. :roll_eyes: I do enjoy watching those cartoons where a roadrunner really put the hurts to a coyote.:smile2: Thinking about getting a pet roadrunner

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nope,,,they fall over just like they are supposed to when hit with a 22-250, but I do get an occasional acrobatic yote. :wink::smile2: