Anyone having any luck with flathead catfish this year?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Biscuit, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    I been alot 2 different lakes and only caught one flat this year. Moving around alot too, seems like the bite is very slow this year, could they stilll be on spawn?

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Seems a little slow around Claytor Anthony, I've hooked a couple above the lake last month but other than a 8.5lb flat saturday night in Peqak Creek hollow of Claytor, flat fishing's been pretty slow for me.
    I talked with a fellow the other day that had caught a 43lb. flat up little river channel two weeks ago and a couple of small ones so hopefully they are starting to bite around here.

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    The Flatheads are biting fairly well here on Smith Mtn Lake. Some Big fish, but the numbers are good this year for ave. fish in the mid Teen lb range. I've had a little trouble hooking up with the larger fish this year as my previous years, but thats just been my mistakes and bad luck.... Stay on the move, you'll find them. The Spawn is over, and Focus your efforts in shallower water 12ft deep up to the shore line. What Lakes Have you been fishing and maybe I or Someone else can help you just a little more with information. Live bait has been best for me. Mostly I use Live Gizzard shad, but i'll toss out a live greensunfish as well from time to time, if i take the time to catch them that is. Fresh Cut shad will work well to, though normally i catch smaller flatties on them, but dont count out the big one.

4. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    The spawn has been over. Right now it has more to do with the heat than anything. Try a little deeper water, thats where the bait has gone to get out of the heat and feeders have followed. I've been targeting deeper water on my river here at home and have done well. It's always like this when we have little water and high temps.

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I agree with Donnie, fished Claytor lake saturday night and caught a few shannels and a flat in 28 foot of water, fish shallower water that night and didn't have much luck. But the shad are beginning to come up a little on Claytor coves so maybe thing are about to change.