Anyone have this problem

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by buckmasterben3, Aug 17, 2006.

1. buckmasterben3

buckmasterben3 New Member

State:
    wv
    i was out last night fishing and bats kept flying into my line. how can i stop them? and what causes them to do it?

2. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I've never had this happen to me with bats but plenty of other birds flown into my line. I'd guess that the bats flying into your line has something to do with how they locate thier food. Bats can't see much so they use a type of sonar to locate thier food, I'd say your fishing line might be tricking theim into thinking it is something flying in the air like a bug or moth. Just my guess, not really sure how to avoid it, sorry.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I don't know why they do it but they were doing this to me and Big Sam the night we were out fishing.

4. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    Not sure how you could stop them but I tend to agree with Brandon as to why they are flying into your line.

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    When I'm night fishing with a lantern, I have that happen all the time.
    I have a couple guesses why they do it, but I don't know if it has anything to do with it?

1) If there are bugs flying around, they might be chasing them and hit your line.

2) If there is any breeze, it might be causing the line to put out a buzzing sound and the bat thinks it a bug and attack it.

Just a couple thoughts?
    How to prevent it, I don't know?

Ken

6. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have no clue but its happend to me a lot!

7. Cody

Cody New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    It happens to me when I use my lantern at night. The lantern attracts bugs which in turn will attract the bats.

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    yes i have that problem and no i dont know how to stop it lol. the only thing i can think of is they feel the vibrations off of the line.

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Fishing in the Missouri River your line can really get to singing, and I think that might attract them. Then there are the bugs drawn to the navigation lights for them to catch.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Kinda makes ya wonder if they are putting knicks in your line doesn't it...I know it does me...I have found knicks but can't prove if it was from the bats or something else....either way when I am in night fishing mode I change line frequently now just to be on the safe side.:crazy:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never had them fly in to my line but have seen them swooping in at the edge of my light and catching bugs and such.

12. snaresman

snaresman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bats can detect an object 1/5 the thickness of a human hair,so it isn't a mistake. I have watched them many times picking insects off my line while stationary fishing. They can easily detect and feed on insects as small as midges.

13. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Happens to me all the time. But, I have no idea how one could stop it from happening. Just think it is something where we will just have to "grin and bear it" and accept it as being part of the experience of fishing late in the evening or at night.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    can't be helped... i have it all the time with the lakes around me... it reflects back as though its food i guess..

Its atleast better for the bats then what happened with me and Jonnycat last week... Had one slam dead into his windshield on the way down to the James that nearly scared us to death...

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Now that you mention it, I have seen the same thing, and do get plenty of bats, :0a24: you have a good point there.

16. CamFish3210

CamFish3210 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have no clue how to stop them from doing this, i guess the cold weather weve been hoping for will get them out of our hair when it comes

and if only i could stop them from flying a foot in front of my face, maybe then the people who fish my bridge with me wouldnt think i was such a scaredy cat

17. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I hate that!
    I don't mind them flying around because they help with the bugs, but when they get close enough I can feel the breeze from them, that is too close.:crazy:

Ken

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I've been told many years ago that light weight "Bola's" will get them when they are doing this but not sure if legal. A "Bola" is the tool that the Gauchos use on cattle but would guess that the bats would dive into it as it got near them.

Let me know how it works out for you plz, lol, lol???

:smile2:

19. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I just always thought it was My Ex Wife hanging and bothering me when I was doing something that I enjoyed Like Fishing!! What an OLD BAT SHE WAS!!!! LOL J.D.Straka :big_smile:

20. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it has happened to me alot, too. usually with me, they will move on about a hour after dark. when they are there, they sure are aggravating, though.