Anyone have some feedback on Nissan 4 strokes?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kyredneck, Nov 19, 2007.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got a 13' Gheenoe that's perfect for what I want to do around home. I've presently got a Briggs 5 hp 4 stroke on it, but I want a little more ump than this (it's does the job, is outstanding on gas, it just sounds like a roto-tiller goin up the river).

I've compared the specs on the 9.8/9.9 hp Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Nissan. The Nissan is 10 lbs. lighter (17 lbs lighter than the Suzuki) than the others and the extra weight is a big factor with me. It also has a 3 yr. factory warranty.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to share. Thanks.

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have heard excellent things about the nissan/tohatsu (both made by nissan) 4 strokes. The only problem i have heard with them is that its hard to find someone who is qualified to work on them. Nissan dealers are apparently few and far between?

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I too have been looking at those outboards. Found a site that seemed to have good prices for new ones. No tax, no shipping too if I remember. If you are interested you can pm me and I'll give you the link since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, the nearest Nissan dealer/service center is about 80 mi from me.

Yes Steve, if you don't mind send me the link to the site you're referring to.
    But if I go the Nissan route I'll probably buy from a dealer if I can get a decent price.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I bought one last spring. My only beefs with it are a bit of a high freq vibration, and weight...still pretty heavy to be considered portable.

Last time I checked, Yamaha still makes 2 strokes...their 8 is a whole bunch lighter than any of the 9.9s.

6. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Two strokes may be lighter but alot of states are banning two strokes on small lakes and the big ones will be next.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Dave. A Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke weighs 79 lb compared to the Nissan 9.8hp 4 stroke at 81.5 lb, but $800.00 more.

What size motor did you get? Are you using a tiller handle instead of a steering wheel, if so I can see where the vibration would be a concern.

Are you satisfied with it or would you have bought something else knowing what you know now?

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I bought the 9.8 tiller model. On long runs the vibration gives my hand a little buzz, but I can deal.

I guess if I was getting a do-over, I'd try to find a Honda owner, and check that out, or go with the little 8hp Yammerhammer.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just checked...the Yamaha 2 cycle 8 horse weighs 60 pounds.

Off topic: they have a new 5.3 liter V8 that's rated at 350 hp, has a 30" shaft, and weighs a little over 800#...just the thing for your Gheenoe.:wink:

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks again.

Yea, the 350hp would for sure get my 110 lb Gheenoe up on plane; if Icould get moving before it sank!

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I decided to go with the Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke (ordered it today):

http://onlineoutboards.com/15hp_yamaha_outboard_motor.htm

The Gheenoes are made in Florida and are popular and well known farther south. Although rated for only 5hp, the 13 footers are routinely equipped with 10-15hp motors and do just fine.

Anyway, if it doesn't pan out, I'll get another boat to match the motor.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Update: I've used the Yami 15 2 stroker on my 13' Gheenoe all this season and absolutely love it. With no GPS, just doing some timing with known distances, I'm gonna estimate with 2 in the boat I get 23-25 mph. It will porpoise with just me alone in the boat unless I put some weight forward, but the trim tabs I'm gonna put on it will remedy that.

This thing is fun; kinda reminds me of a jet ski with it's stability and the way it handles, and the gas mileage is excellent.

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    It seems like this thread was started a while back. I ended up getting the tohatsu 9.8hp 4 stroke electric start. I love mine, real quiet. Plenty of power for my 14' jon. With only me in the boat and gear I'd say it goes about 20 mph. Anyway, you said something about porpoising... One of the first things I did was I bought a whale tail. Definitely improved the performance. And I too am enjoying the fuel efficiency. I don't know about yours, but I can't go through enough gas. I have to use the left over tank for lawn mowers etc or else I'm afraid it will spoil on me.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, it seems those small 4-strokers just keep goin & goin on one tank of gas.

I did some research on hydrofoils vs. trim tabs and the tabs are better in most cases, one reason being the loss of some top end speed with the whale tails. The hydrofoil is a cheaper, quicker fix but the tabs give better overall performance. For my small boat I'll be installing fixed tabs- see photo.

Attached Files: