Anyone Have Any Recipes For Canning Jalapenos?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catfishrollo, Jul 25, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Needing some good recipes for canning them bad boys in tomato juice! Netmanjack, sorry. I seemed to of lost that awesome pepper recipe you shared with me last year. Maybe you will be kind enough to share it with me again. I need some help from you loyal canners on what I need to do, so I can start packing these into jars, and preserving them. Likesaid, I would like to can them in a tomato juice mixture, or a sweet and hot recipe would be awesome! Any help is greatly appreciated, and feel free to share your recipe for other peppers here as well! Thanks.....rollo

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also would be interested in pickled peppers. Mine are coming off and if i don't stuff every last one i would enjoy some this winter.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anything pickled in my book is good!:smile2: rollo

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    "Leaping Lizard" Tex-Mex Style Hot Sauce

3 1/2 cups fresh tomato purée
    (or 4 1/2 pounds chopped tomatoes)

3/4 cup seeded and minced red & green
    Jalopeño peppers
    3/4 cup seeded and minced red & green
    Serrano peppers
    1/2 cup seeded and minced ripe red
    Cayenne peppers

8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

6 peppercorns, cracked

3 1/2 cups cider vinegar

2 teaspoons pickling salt

Put the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and 1 ½ cups of the vinegar into a nonreactive saucepan. Crack the peppercorns (I fold them in a napkin and bang them with a hammer). Put them into a teaball, or tie them up in a bit of cheesecloth, and add them to the pot. Boil the mixture, stirring occasionally, until it is reduced by half.
    Take the pot off the heat and remove the peppercorns. Purée the mixture. You can use a blender or a food mill. I like to use my little immersion "stick blender" for this, running it around in the pot until the contents look smooth. Be careful, because splashing sauce may be hot not only from the stove but also from the chile peppers.
    Put the purée and the peppercorns (still in their teaball) back into the pot. Add the salt and the remaining 2 cups of vinegar. Bring the sauce back to a boil and cook it down, stirring often, until it's as thick as you'd like.
    The finished hot sauce can be processed in a boiling water bath (leave ¼ inch headspace and process 15 minutes for pints or half pints) or stored in sterile glass bottles in the refrigerator. The recipe can be doubled or tripled if you have a big pot. I keep a big jar or jug at the back of the fridge and use it to refill smaller bottles for everyday use.
    Makes about 2 pints.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck yhea!!!! Thanks Barry, knew i could count on ya.:wink: Wheres that taxidermist,stucco guy at. You know the big guy that does all the cookin. Jerm i think is his name.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Richard you big redneck concrete hauler,,,,spill the beans brother.

I print these recipes off, i ain't takin a chance on server failure. I appreciate everyones secrets and time.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Had to find my recipe,since I haven't had any peppers to pickle in a couple years. This is my basic pepper recipe:

2 quarts of peppers
    2 C vinagar
    2 C water
    1/2 t salt
    1 head of garlic

pack jars tightly with peppersleave 1/2" headspace,bring water,vinegar, and salt[and any other spices you like] to a boil, Fill jars with boiling brine mixture . can in boiling water bath for 10 min.

Make sure to use sterilized jars ,rings and lids.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey you guys, when you do come up with a good brine, try a mix. Put cauliflower, onions, and carrots in them. Makes an awesome snack when you're drinkin beer with the buddies.

8. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh yea, vacuum seal them if you can. I do my pickles that way and they turn out crunchy instead of soggy.

9. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio

I agree 100%, i use a brine mix with White vinegar along with garlic, corriander , carrot, califlower and of course Hung med hot's.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009