Anyone have any legendary "the big'un got off" stories??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead22, Dec 27, 2005.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, guys, I am always interested to hear how guys were fishing at night and they had something on that drug them around in their johnboat for a while before finally straightening out an eight aught hook...I have heard a lot of good ones and a lot of bull-cookies!!! So, please share any true stories that you have experienced yourself or heard about.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one but it took me a year to get over it, so it's to painfull to talk about! :D

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont know how big it was , but Flathunter & I were fishing a spot we call "The Goat Path" this past fall. Zero bites all night, then my heavy action big cat double over in the rod holder, I grabbed it, the reel butt jammed into my stomach, actually had a red mark on my stomach from this, had the beast on for a few seconds, then it got off. Cant say how big it was, but can say it would have been my personal best.

I will look for the text of Flathunters big one that got away......

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well the best story I know of is not about me it is something I witnessed though. I have lost many big ones but the story to them is not really as intresting as this one:

My dad and I were fishing at a Tailrace one day, we know this guy names Ray who throws Jigs all day for the Blue Cats at the tailrace. And they catch alot of big cats on Jigs there too. Well they had the current running pretty hard, the dam was running halfway.....which made the current swoop back against the bank on our side where everyone fishes. Well Ray has about a 13 ft pole that cast all the way across the dam, well I happen to be standing there beside him when he hooked this fish. He had cast into a little current break between two open gates at the dam. All the sudden he whiped the pole back as he set the hook.....and it bent into a C :eek: Drag started flying off his reel. He only had 15 lb test though. The fish ran all the way over to the other side of the dam and then got in the current. Well luckily the current was swirling back around towards us that day so the fish just casually swam towards us, someone had a gaff and ran down on the rocks to prepare to get the fish. Everyone saw it it was HUGE everyone said way over 80 pounds!!!! The stupid guy with the Gaff missed the fish! And it took off again! Only this time it never came close again, it just ran downstream and broke the line.... :eek: And it appeared to be the state record blue!

Now I and alot of other people have had that happen before out there but not with any that big though. Alot of 30-50 lb blues have done that though.
    I had one at least 50 lb do that to me. My dad netted the fish but it thrashed out of the net and took off and broke my line. That's a day I'll always remember though, boy it was an awesome fight though. That's what really counts.

Good luck, Zakk :)

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought his org story was more detailed, but I'll post this, hopefully flathunter will finish the story....

5/13/05
    "I wont get into any details because it makes me ill thinking about it..This fish looked bigger than the 50 I caught three years ago..AS soon as I casted out and put my rod in the holder it doubled over, the fight was long and hard in heavy current..I cant ever remember losing a big flathead at the bank before....Gonna take awhile before I get over this one"

6. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina

I hear ya brother man!! I had one at the Cooper river in April of 2000 to break my 50lb line off on my anchor...I never had control of it, it just kept swimming around the back of the skiff. When the cat got the rod, the tip went all the way into the water! Mind you now, we are in a 24' Carolina Skiff DLX, so that rod is a long way off the water! Man, it made me sicker than breaking up with my girlfriend!!!! I literally felt like I was going to throw up!

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was bankfishing with a couple freinds on a sandbar one night about 8 years ago. i had one rod out with a shoe sized carp on it for about 6 hours. was just about to go reel it in when the clicker started going off really slow and steady. i picked up the rod and waited about 10 seconds, engaged the reel, let the line go tight and jerked like hell. i jerked so hard that if it wasnt for hooking the fish i would have been on my back. the fish pulled back so hard and fast that it yanked me face first into the water. i never let go of the pole but after i got back up i realized that the 25lb line was broke. i never really got to feel how big it was but my freinds got one hell of a laugh out of it.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, that must have been a monster of a fish....I lost a couple good ones last year..And I know Bryan did also...It's hard to take when you spend days waiting for that one big fish, then lose it makes you litterly sick.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whats funny was the next year at the same spot my freind almost done the same thing. he kept his balance though. he was fishing with a 12 inch creek chub and his reel took off screaming, sounded like a drill! after setting the hook and getting his balance this fish was screaming downriver at an unbeleivable speed, we both went "holy s##t" at the same time. mark uses 12 ft surf rods and 30lb test so it was a BIG fish! id say the fish ran 100 yrds then the hook came out. we were both bummed out. think it was a blue that made its way up from the ohio, ive seen blues run like that at paylakes and my other freind caught one at 18# in the river that ran like that too.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Does it have to be a night story?
    I was fishing the ohio river in my 16' vhull alum boat. I just cut the engine and was pulling into a small spot by a warm water discharge that right up against 2 parked barges. On the way in I stand up and launch a huge blob of liver over my head on a 10' big bobber pole. After we tie or anchor off I go to fix my other pole. As Im doing this I look over my shoulder to check the bobber pole. Its swimming upstream and fast.

I drop the other pole and set the hook and bam, big time fish. Now this is where the barges come into play. He shoots a good 40-50 yards under these things and Im thinking hes coming off for sure. Well about five minutes later I pull him out of the barges. Well long enough to see a huge tail, me and my buddy both say weigh at least 10lbs. I finally drag him back out and get him close to the boat. He starts taking off again and I bear down just a lil bit and snap. Nope not my line but my dang %$#*& hook. At the time I was using those bronze 1/0 J hooks. Not anymore, lol. Ive been using 5/0 tru turn catfish hooks and just bought a pack of 8/0 gamakatsu circles. That would have easily been my biggest fish ever and have never come close to anything like that sense. :cursing:

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    First Cat on my first rod and reel. I had hounded my dad to take me out for about a month. Hooked into a fish, I told dad I had one. I got it up to the bank and out popped a Cat with a head about a foot wide. My dad dove head first to grab it. It broke my hook and poof was gone. Have never got another one nearly that big around here. Next day my dad had two R&R and a little tackle box. Fish never fought one bit, guess he knew he could leave any time he wanted to.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have a bunch of stories about myself but the one that really sticks out in my mind happened to my fishing buddy last fall. he and i were bank fishing the rocks below cannelton dam (where i always fish) when this happened. my buddy, jonathan, had just cast one of his poles out(abu garcia 6500 and 7 ' ugly stik catfish rod practically brand new) and had stuck it down in the rocks and was turned around baiting his other pole. i just happened to be watching him from down the bank a way. it was a very slow day so i was bored and just looking around. all of a sudden his pole went airborn ! i have seen poles get dragged in before and as a matter of fact had one drug in the week before that luckily i retrieved, but this looked like it was shot out of a cannon!! the fish must have been massive! he just happened to turn around as it hit the water and jumped in after it! now this is november mind you and he is decked out in full winter wear, coveralls and all. he starts scooping the water trying to get his pole and i am just sitting there laughing my butt off!! it was one of those things thats not funny but is. luckily the water was up a little and there was a rock ledge there or i might have been minus one fishing partner. well, he didnt get it back and managed to get out of the water. i still could not stop laughing. all day long, everytime i would look at him i would just bust up! i still rag him about it from time to time and he still cusses me but,hey, what are friends for anyway?

13. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I think anyone who ever fished with our buddy Whislter has one of them stories. They all seem to get away, is'nt that right Bryan? LOL

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, well, it seems only if you come from Illinois that is true. LOL We won't comment on how many that includes now will we? LOL

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    My best friend got me started catfishing about 4 years ago. Well it was probably the 5 or 6 time he took me out to lake marion. He used steel leaders with the snaps, while i tied my own out of 50 lb mono. Anyway he had one rod straight down with the cliker on. We had caught a few small ones and were thinking about moving. About that time his rod doubles over and his drag starts pulling out. Hes fighting the fish for a couple minutes when all of a sudden the line goes slack. I thought the line had popped, but turns out his walmart leaders snap had been pulled straight. Never saw the fish, but had to be a nice one.

16. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I was wondering how long it would take to hear from ya Bryan. I got a pretty cool movie of the one that got away. I'll have to see if I can get it posted back on this new server.

17. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    The biggest catfish that i ever had get off was hooked while i was fishin for croakers with shrimp.I had about three poles out,got a few hits here and there.And then i heard this huge splash. it sounded like someone dropped a 30 lb. rock in the water. But about 3 seconds after the splash my pole which was leaning against the side of the dock flung up and almost got pulled into the water.The pole that i was using was only a medium action and my line was 10 lb. test.I set the hook like 3 times. I didn't know what it was because i was usin shrimp. It could have been a big striper, a big catfish? I fought the fish for about ten minutes. Then i got him up to the side of the dock. I couldn't see well because it was around 11 o'clock. My dad grabbed the flashlight and shined it down on the fish. The fish submerged and it was a really big blue. It's head was as wide as my torso!Then the fish quickly made a final run and snapped my 10 lb. test line. I was depressed for about a month after that. Come to think of it those thoughts still haunt me to this day. My dad and i figured that the catfish was in the 70+ class.Well it was fun while it lasted.

18. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    By the way this story is perfectly true. i have witnesses to verify that statement. :thumbsup:

19. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing

that made me smile :D

20. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    This happened this past March. It was the first time Slimcat and I had fished together. We were set up on the front side of a dike. I had just finished catching a 37.5 lb Blue. Had a big skipjack chunk on when he hit. Set the hook hard and he took off. It was give and take for more than 20 minutes. I was using 80 lb Power Pro and a 40lb test leader. Finally he took off again. I was having a hard time slowing him down. He finally did but he was staying down. He surged again when my line went slack. I reeled in to find that my line hadn't broke but my 6/0 Kahle had been straightened.

I sure wish I could have at least seen him. A few weeks later I caught a 56 lb Blue on this same spot (profile pic). Although it was a great fight, it was nothing compared to the one that got away. I don't know how big he was and I'm afraid to guess but he was a good one for sure!