Anyone have any ideas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Whiskerwhacker, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I may have mentioned before that there was a possibility I would be going to Africa on a mission trip this spring. Well it appears that all is now a green light and we will be leaving tentatively April 30. The property we will be building the mission headquarters on has frontage on Lake Malawi and a small river that I do not know the name of. I and a fellow friend are planning on taking our poles along and have heard a rumor of a pontoon boat on site. I am wondering, does anyone have the foggiest idea what kind of fish one would find in Malawi? I have searched the web some and find mainly commercial fishing info. I did see reference to several types of catfish. My basic plan is: catch a small local fish, put it on a hook and do what I do here. I would love any input from anyone who knows anything or has a link to a website. Thanks a ton, Steve

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    What will you catch on Lake Malawi?

Malawia. Unwess you take the big yewow pill.

I havent got any idea... but you better take a TON of pics.

Good luck man! That sounds prety cool.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    http://malawicichlids.com/index.htm

Steve-
    I have been told that Malawi is one of only two lakes in the world that procuce cichlids, (pronounced sick-lids) one of the world's most popular aquarium fishes. There is tons of info on cichlids on the web, and at the site above, there is a section on "non-cichlid" fish in Malawi.
    I have no other knowledge of species, numbers, or size, but one thing is for sure the world over: big fish eat little fish.
    May God bless you all with a safe and productive trip.

4. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    good luck steve, small fish bait sounds like great idea trent

5. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the link Bwana! It looks very good. I will be taking some time to look it over here shortly. I want to catch one of the elephant faced ones! I am thinking a big circle hook. I will take any advice anyone has to offer. Oh, and Sal, you're very punny!:tounge_out:

6. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I have been looking over the link you sent Tony. It appears there are several types of catfish in Lake Malawi. Some of them could be potentially large, as in flathead or blue range. Most of them will kill or maim you if you look at them wrong (no noodelin'). At least they look that way. A few of the smaller ones definitely pack a punch. I think I will take lots of hooks and as soon as I get a good picture I will cut the line and re-hook:wink: . Very interesting reading. Thanks again.