Anyone growing veggies?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Little Luey, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am planning on having a garden, hoppefully soon, I like to have a little bit of everything the land can give me in my little corner of the word, broccoli, peppers, onions, lettuce, etc.

I was wondering who is growing what in this forum.

I am sure theres got to be some avid gardeners in here, am I right?

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    last year i grew more than i have this year...now i dont have a green house and my ex landlord took a bunch of my hydroponic junk so my wintergrowin got nipped in the bud....right now all i have is a few banana pepper plants and a big bell pepper plant and they are puttin on like crazy even in the cooler weather we have been having down here

3. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I helped my grandpa plant a variety of greens this year for his fall garden. Darn bugs got to some of them, and the water washed away some others, but there's still plenty for them to eat.

I'm gonna plant a spring garden next year. I'm gonna plant okra, cayenne peppers, banana peppers, and other things I haven't thought of yet. My brother says I should plant Habaneros, but those things are too hot for me to eat. I want to try to plant some things that my neighbor doesn't plant; he usually shares his produce with us, so I'd like to have something different, and share it with him.

BTW, there is a gardening section on the BOC; it's just not as well traveled lately:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=316

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wanna see a weird look but always the same look on peoples faces...roll up to the nursery or green house supply store..any of em..in a dually like mine and walk up lookin like me and start asking for hydroponic fertilizers and water soluble ph adjusters and strips :smile2: have to do all my ordering online..none of theplaces around here or even ft worth would get me anything but epsom salt and sulfuric acid:roll_eyes: liquid miracle grow settles out in like a day.

ohh reason for this post regarding yours (sorry..i rant) the vacant rent house down the road from mine has a ton of differant squash and gourds grwoing and the land lord said have at em...cooked em up like squah and they were / are some good eatin..im not usually much of a squash kind a dude

5. catrick1

catrick1 New Member

State:
    calif.
    allright acatfisherman and a gardener. Great post. I grow the usual corn, squash, tomatoes. Right now getting ready to dig some sweet potatoes. Here in the imperial valley we can grow all year long and fish most of it too. Good to hear from a gardener. Tks

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh im sure youll get a ton more answers! keep checkin up on this thread brotha :big_smile:

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good to see a few gardners out here.

Cattrick1 I am in Yuma so we basically have the same weather, what are you growing now?

I have some peppers and I just killed some broccolli plants but that was just round 1, I am coming back for round 2.:wink:

8. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I enjoy groing peppers (hot ones), tomato, lettuce, and beans. Nothing like a good 'ol mater sandwich during the summer. Also try mixing in those home grown canned maters in some macaroni.

9. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    It's a little too cold here 15 below zero here in Iowa.

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I just harvested the last of the turnips last week. Won't be planting again til April.

11. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    I didnt grow anything this year as we bought a new house and moved. But I am getting things ready for spring. I will plant a small area this first year just 20feet x26feet should give me enough of what I want.

12. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i had a really good garden this yaer untill i filled up the freezer and wont eat all the veggies before i plant again. i am going to plant some vidalia onions and carrots next week then in january i'll plant some english peas( love them) feb, red and white potatoes, end of march start my cream 8 peas(wifes fav), april, squash and okra, broccili, cabbage, and anything else i can think of. gardening is to me as relaxing as catfishing and as good to eat! oh yeah mators mators and more mators:smile2:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  13. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    It must be nice to grow a winter garden. Under a foot of snow up here in Michigan that wouldn't work too well. That is where the Aerogarden comes in handy. Expensive, but worth it if you are a gardener and would rather grow more than house plants in the winter months up north...

I just set up the Aerogarden for my mother, hopefully I get some pics of the cherry tomato progress in the Aerogarden thread soon. Right now it looks a little bit boring, just non-sprouted pods in a hydroponic Aerogarden like the pic I posted before in that thread.