Anyone growing strawberries

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by daystarchis, Apr 27, 2006.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I planted 2 dozen and boy are those lil plants loaded! They have over 12 berries to a plant!!!

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've got a 5' x 5' strawberry patch thats loaded with flowers at the moment. Problem I had last year was a rabbit taking bites out of each berry and leaving the rest to rot.

3. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    No strawberries growing but man do I love them. Anyways since the gopher subject came up does anyone know how to get rid of them. I've been trying to 2 years now I can get rid of him for a little while then he comes back. I've killed 1 but I think there's 2 more any idea's.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have heard of someone puttin cow manure,( can we say manure?) on their strawberries.
    I prefer to put milk on mine LOL

Sorry, The debil made me say that!

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I only tried growing them once..years ago. I didn't really work it right. I didn't put out enough plants, & I think I planted them in the wrong spot. I have a very small yard..limited sunny space. Maybe someday I'll try 'em again. Did I hear somewhere that you can plant them in the winter in the South? If so, maybe I'll give it another try! Thanks for any input.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    The critters get mine every time I've ever planted any.
    Last year my wife got two of those planters that have holes in the sides to plant in. Got the berries going good and she had it on the pourch, thinking no critters would be brave enough to get'em; WRONG ! One bite out of every berry in each pot. She had some really nice one growing too.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    heres my strawberry patch. it also has some oriental irises coming up, a butterfly bush, lilly of the valley, candy irises and louisiana iriss

Attached Files:

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What a beautiful little bed...looks like a "cottage garden"! Love it! Good work.:big_smile:

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    This is my first year for a large bed, built it last year, and planted ever
    bearing plants. Looks good this year, plenty of bloom. I have raised berrys
    in wood 1/2 barrels...works well and no critters can nip the berrys.

10. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    My neighbor down the road a piece has some awesome looking berries started. He grows organically in round beds form last years compost. The leaves are huge and green with berries starting to load up. He uses netting to keep birds out of them and the cherry maters.