Anyone grow tomatillos, or ground cherries?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by kyredneck, Jan 29, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My family loves fresh salsa, red (tomatoes) and green (tomatillos). I'm gonna throw some tomatillos in the patch this year. Burpee introduced "Gigante", a larger (4" dia), sweeter (50%) green tomatillo in 2005. Anyone grown it?

Ground cherries have actually naturalized here, used to eat them as a kid. I've read that they add good flavor to a salsa also. I think I'm gonna try the pineapple one this year.

Also gonna try growing some cilantro for the first time.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Both the Burpee Tomatillo and other brands of cilantro grow very well and are super easy to grow Larry.

I planted way too many tomatillo seeds the first time as I wasn't sure how well they would do. BIG mistake as they are very prolific bearers! LOL

Good luck!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey,Larry I have grown tomatillos in the past,super easy. I'm Thinkin about the ground cherries this year for something different. I think I have seen them growing wild in Eastern OK and S E KS.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good Q. i have not but would like too. since they look to be pretty much a tomato pepper cross do they grow on tomato like vines or plant like pepper?

i had a salsa from texas select with these and avocodo. talk about good. its a green salsa and i love it. i made a version of my own but had to buy the tomallitoes. sure may try to grow some this spring.:wink:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I may try tomatillos also tasting then growinng. lol I'll bet they like hot weather. As for cilantro I try growing it every year, but it never does well for me. It gets long and spindly with few leaves, help? I have never had a ground cherry, but I did include pineapple in one batch of salsa last fall and most people said it was the best that they had ever had! With the tomatillos I'm thinking green chili.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Richard, do you stake your tomatillos or let them creep on the ground?

The recipes for the fresh red and the green salsas I use are nearly identical except for one uses tomatoes, the other tomatillos.

My latest salsa experiment was an avocado, mango, and tomato salsa over grilled catfish and tilapia. My mouth waters thinking bout it. I got the recipe from the internet.

On growing cilantro, I’ve read somewhere that it’s necessary to do successive plantings of it through the summer. Is that right?

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    off the subject a bit but netmanjack i make a peach salsa. reg red salsa with fresh peaches and boil cook it. it takes about 1 cup sugar to a gallon batch to get it to the right sweetness but its great. one of my buddies litterly drinks it out of the jar when it about gone. seen him do it while we were at the rock river fishing 2 springs ago.

i also started two years ago making a mango salsa. took ripe soft mangos and blend them smooth. also blend onions to a smooth paste. mix togather. about 3/4 mango to 1/4 onion and add cilantro and spices and them 2-3 finely chopped habenaros.

sweet with a bite. i love it. might get out a jar. made 60+ this fall.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't tried to grow them yet but I'm thinking about trying it this year.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That stuff sounds good...I probably would drink a jar too. Ever added any alcohol?.....LOL
    :smile2: