Anyone grow or have info on this Green Bean?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Beehunter, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    Here in my part of Southern Indiana there is a popular bush type green bean called rhodie or rhoda green beans. Most people have had the seed in their families for years and years and it is only available for purchase at a small garden store and I think that they grow their own plants for seed. Does anyone have any info on this bean or where it originated? By the way, it has the best taste of any green bean I have ever eaten.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have never heard of it.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe it is a type of Roma and over the years the name got morphed into rhodie? roma- romy- rody- rhodie. I have no clue, but similar things have happened.:big_smile:

4. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    I have thought the same thing that it is related to the roma bean. Its the best bean I have ever eaten.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Never heard of it. Kentucky Wonders and Rattlesnakes are the most popular
    here.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Matt, from what I have read, 90% of the heirloom beans out there, are from the KY area. Many are passed down from generation to generation. Many are localized to very small areas. I have a hunch that this is what your beans would fall under and that would explain the reason why you can't find them elsewhere.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  8. Beehunter

Beehunter New Member

State:
    Goosepond Marsh, Indiana
    Kutter, I do know that my family has grown the beans supposedly since the late 1800's and the bean came from the South. My Grandfather has told me that the bean came from New Orleans by one of my ancestors that settled in this area, now I don't know if this is true or it just got made up as time wore on. 777 there is no pic of green beans on your link.

9. shadchucker

shadchucker New Member

State:
    indiana
    never heard of them will look around central indiana.