Anyone good at sauger fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 26, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone good at sauger fishing in TN? I would really love some sauger lessons. I can catch them at one place, but its too crowded for me. I would be grateful for any tips or someone to go show me what to do on the river.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never caught one but I hear they slaughter them @ Cordell Hull which is not far from me..

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have caught one on the cumberland, fishin' a honeyhole in gallatin on bottom with a nightcrawler. He went about 2 lbs.:wink: You just have to catch one coming through on the banks.. best to be out in the creek channels with nightcrawlers on a lil spinner rig.. Perfect setup.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I fish for them all the time. Tying up jigs for them today.:big_smile: Getting ready for when they get started.
    I'm not a pro at it. But have been fishing for them for around 35+ years. As and if I can help I will sure do it.
    Pete
    Ps phone number is on our website. Give me a call and we can talk sauger fishing if you would like to.

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Pete. I will give you a call the first week of October. But I will write you a PM when I get off work in the morning.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Les Never been to Cordell Hull. Is it a dam? I would be interested in making a trip down there. Thanks

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
  8. festus

festus New Member

I'm no expert and most of mine have been caught by accident. They usually show up around the effluent of steam plants and below dams about a week or so before Christmas and hang around until about March. I caught three one morning after St. Patricks day this spring below Melton Hill Dam. I remember that morning it was 31 degrees centigrade, and I almost backed out on going fishing that day because it was rainy looking. Got them right after daylight. I got all three on a John Deere colored Kalin's 2" twistertail grub. The biggest was about three pounds, the others were barely keepers.

9. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish cordell hull alot for them and do real well caught a bunch in the 4 to 5lb range my biggest was 5lb 9 oz im like pete i make my own jigs.let me know when u can go lol and we will smoke them and the crappie as well.

10. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Don will let you know when I get back. Till then good luck and take care.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So what colors do you guys use for sauger. I have only used plain jig heads. What size. do you use a trail hook. what color plastic body do you use. I have limited expereince with it, but have caught some nice ones. I used a plain jig head and a curly tail with a minner on the end. What works for you guys?

12. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    A friend of mine always fishes in Jan - Feb near the barkley dam.He always uses a 3/4 to 1 ounce white banana head jig with a black bucktail skirt , and he does tip the jigs with minnows but he doesn't use a stinger treble although I have seen them used as well.One of these days I am going take him up on the offer and try it.

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They sure do taste great.

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes they do , I have managed to catch a few years ago when I would fish a plastic worm on channel drops on lake barkley.Kinda scary the first one I ever caught.We don't have many toothy critters down here other than gar.lol

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you are looking for some great sauger jigs at a really good price check out wildwolf. Pete has some really good deals. And I didn't know what I wanted or needed so he helped me out with that too.

16. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I went Sunday to the creek to try out the boat and there were a couple guys there tearing up the sauger right off the bank..They weren't huge but they were wearing them out..

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a good sign. I think I will sauger fish my first day back then. Thanks for the info.

18. festus

festus New Member

I checked out those Wildwolf sauger jigs and they look great. There's two bait shops in Lenoir City that have the best selection of sauger jigs I've seen on the shelves. One is Smitty's Bait and Tackle and the other is Lane's Landing. Both are within a mile of Ft. Loudoun Dam, and they have just about any kind of live bait in stock except for crawdads.

If anyone likes fancy sauger and walleye bait, check out the Northland Fishing Tackle website. I caught a lot of Northlake baits on clearance sale (66% off) at Gander Mtn. in Knoxville a few months ago and haven't had a chance to use most of them. But I gave a friend one pack of the Mimic Minnows and he says he has caught smallmouth, stripes, and some kind of fish he couldn't determine if it was a sauger or walleye. We used to fish for sauger and walleye with a June Bug Spinner harness, but I've never seen them in years. I included a photo of something similar. Also I have some airplane jigs I'm just dying to try when the sauger season begins.

19. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The sauger on Cordell Hull is great. I dont know of a better place for them. I have caught several recently on jigs and plastics fishing for bass. I start fishing for sauger in December. Jan and feb are the best months. The colder the better. Its not for everyone, but man they taste good. I have luck slowly trolling slopping banks and points with gravel or fine rock bouncing a jig off the bottom. The gravel bar at Granvile marina has also been productive in January and Febuary.

20. festus

festus New Member

Dennis, how's the sauger fishing below Cordell Hull Dam? I've never fished the reservoir, but used to fish the tailwaters.