Anyone going to Santee Cooper next weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by zebcohobo202, Aug 17, 2005.

1. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

Evening fellers. I'm heading to Blacks camp on the diversion canal of Santee Cooper 8-26 thru 8-29. Any brothers gonna be down that way? I'm always ready to meet new fishing buddies.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I was just down the for 3 days and the fishing was fair or great depending on how much you caught.It is hot as the dickens during the day and nice at night.The weather was very calm (for once) with not enough wind during the day to drift fish.Hope you catch a bunch and say hello to Kevin Davis at blacks camp for me.He will tell you whats what concerning the fishing.

3. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    I'm going down a couple weeks after you, also staying at Blacks. Let us know how you do. Good Luck!

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Jim, Tooncat, shoot me a PM, I have a question for both of you sanatee fishing guys. :cool:

5. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

I know this has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about but ,Tooncat I was wondering, are those bluegill in your profile picture, because if they are those are those are some monsters!!!!

6. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Those are Shellcracker caught in early September last year Cathunter, so your timing is good. Here's how ya catch em: As water is pulled through the Diversion Canal, it brings with it lots of mussel shells. After emptying into Moultrie, shells spread out and drop to the bottom because the swift current is not there. You want to fish just outside the rock markers either side. Start close in about 7-10 feet of water and move further away from the markers if they're not biting. Redworms, butterworms, and small pieces of nightcrawlers do the trick. Best time of year is mid-September to end of October. The ones in pictures both topped 2lbs. Great fighters and great eatin. I'll be down there in a couple weeks and you can bet I'll be after them as well the cats. Good Luck!

7. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    I'm considering heading down to Santee for a few days. Where is the best place to camp and do some bank fishing? I love a good Catfight.

8. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I fish from the bank alot. For the upper lake, i fish out of wilson's landing, near the cable. It's right by harry's. For the lower lake i fish the bank at Arrow head and Short stay(a favorite if you have military id). ive even done well at night a couple of times right at the tailrace landing and the dock at Cypress garden(fall&winter...very little boat pressure)