Anyone go wormin'?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Apr 29, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    With all the rain that we are gonna get here, it makes me want to go out and get some crawlers. Last year I allmost filled a coffe can to the top, I amd guessing somewhere around 6-7lbs of crawlers. Most were in the street, I just went out with a dust pan and scooped them up and put them in my folgers can. Can be a blast, does anyone else do this?

Aaron

TA2D

2. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    I go wormin if it dose not rain at night Iwater the grass in one spot with the hose get it nice and wet for one hour get two steel rodes about five feet apart and wire up to a car battery and they will come up disconect the battery then pick up the worms this was told to me by a old man do it at your own risk think befor you act on some thing

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I used to do it every spring up in Peoria. I would go out at night after or even during a rain with a flashlight and pick them up. Had a blast doing it and would get enough to last for weeks.

A black preacher moved in next door and they saw me out there one night and wanted to know what I was doing so I showed them. He and his daughter both loved to fish. So the next time it rained I was sitting in the house watching TV and there was a knock on the door. The wife went to the door and the daughter (who was about 13-14 years old) said to the wife "Is Misser Chuck goin wormin tonight?" Needless to say, I forgot the TV and we went out worming and did quite often for several years with her. Man O man could his wife cook fish. Ate over there several times when the 3 of us would go fishing together. Good memories.

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    yup..the car battery thing does work indeed...everytime i do it...i feel like screaming "IT'S ALIVE....IT'S ALIVE!" HAHAHA :choler:

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My brain cells aren't sparking at the moment, but there is a word for this that my Father taught me. CRS. Anyway, the noise of rain causes them to come to the surface, was what he taught me, so you can similate that noise and find them anytime.

Anyone else hear of this? WHAT is the word?

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to love to go catch crawlers, I dont fish with them anymore, maybe I should give it a try agin.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I thought every good fisherman liked fresh bait. Iam 54yrs old been doing this for 50 yrs at least . the people in my area thought i was crasy walking in the drissle with a caffee can picking up worms. then i found out how many fishing neighbors i had. because they ask me to teach them how to do it . WORMS BEWARE WE ARE AFTER YA. GOOD LUCK CATCH YA LATER.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I started as a kid. We filled a Radio Flyer wagon with em. Man was mom proud. lol Great easy way to get bait.

9. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    In Texas the fire ants keep the crawlers down but since I moved to WVA and got 3 big dogs in the back yard they are all over , it is almost as much funas catching blue gils for bait. See you on the fishbank some time

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    a battery you say? dose it work as well as 120v ? we used to get them with a worm burner plugged into the wall. (wear rubber boots!! lol)

in florida, my cousins get them by grunting. no no not that type of grunting.lol drive a 2 bi 2 steak (2ft. long) in the ground then rub the side of a sledge hammer head across the top. it vibrates and they come out the same way as electric. must have something to do with the sand cause it dosent work hear in indiana. at least it never did when i tryied it up hear.

anyhow,to answer the question, yes i pick worms after a rain

11. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Yes, I have picked up crawlers since I was a kid ( dad would give us a penny a piece for them )
    I lived on a lake two years ago, my neighbor and I would go out in April and pick up in two nights enough crawlers to last us until august.
    I was working third shift then. I would come home and fish untill 9:30 or so , go to bed and get up and be back on the water around 4pm. life was good.
    We stored our crawlers in a large styrfoam cooler in this bedding that resembled ground up newspapers. Had some yellow powder that we would sprinkle on top for food. Those worms actually bred in this bedding too.
    It is well worth the time to pick these up. I use a red light, the crawlers dont seem to react to it as quick as they do a white one. I remember my granddad using a set of "rabitt ears" that was pluged into a 110 outlet to get them during the daytime. Thet came up in a hurry.

12. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    We got a local kroger parking lot here locally where the worms crawl when
    we get a lot of rain. The things crawl out of the grass in the road ditch.
    They cover the parking lot. You got to have a dust pan to pick them up off the wet concrete. On a good night a gallon is not hard to get.

13. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    does shocking shorten the lives of the worms. I have seemed to notice this or is it just me?

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

we made ours out of a stinger, they don't make them anymore, all we did was remove the heater element and replace it with two rods and viola a homemade worm burner.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We use to drive a stake in the ground and rub a brick across it to get that screeching sound out of it.It only works on the type of worms that make the little volcano cone shaped mounds in a yard.I think it is the vibration.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Yep I use to pick a lot of crawlers up, now just a few and buy a lot of them. The only reason I don't pick them up all time now is sometimes the body says, I don't think so. I'm going to start raising them I believe though, it's deffinetly a lot cheaper. Heck I'll pay a nieghbor kid to pick them up and still be cheaper than buying them. Oh yeah, I have a shocking bar my dad made, it works off of 110 house current, seems to do a good job.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Used to do it all the time when I lived onnorth 7th st in Quincy,Il. After a big rain the gutters along the street would be full of them. I have one of those rods you push ito the ground and plug in to electric. Haven't used it in years, not since it shocked me. Sure got my attention real quick.

18. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I haven't wormed in years but i use to go all the time. forget the rain hose down the yard waith a half hour and grab a flashlight.

19. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i do it all the time.i mostley catch blues and channels on em most of the time.

20. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    Aaron, I don't know how close to the Missouri River you are, but on the Iowa side under the Plattsmouth Bridge, I always find green worms there. I don't know if it's because of the water treatment plants up stream, or what but they always seem to be there. You'll find a rail road bridge, and a regular car bridge, on the right side north side of the bridge there used to be a pull off that we used to use. I say used to be cause I haven't had the chance to fish there last year, or this year yet. I would take a lawn mower battery and a pair of jumper cables and find all the green worms I could ever use under the first row of trees.

Also, this is a great place to catch cat. I can't tell you how many times I went down there with out any bait and just used green worms and caught cat up to the 10 pound range.

Good luck and see you on the water.