Anyone go icefishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KsPete, Jan 10, 2010.

1. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I went yesterday and today at Cheney, but didn't catch a thing. This was my first and second time out icefishing... ever. I've wanted too for several years, but this year I resolved to make it happen.

Saturday, I went to the East Shore area and walked out onto the lake from the marina. I tried several different areas but only saw fish on the fish finder at one location. No takers however. Depth was no more than 15 feet at any of the locations and ice was 9-10 inches thick. I saw one other fisherman out there and he was having the same kind of luck I was. We visited and fished for a bit then moved on to new locations.

Today, I went to the West Shore area and walked out from Sailboat Cove. I fished a couple of different areas, but didn't mark any fish at all. Depth was 10 feet at the first spot and 25 feet at the second. I didn't see a soul out there today.

I tipped a jig wth a shad hoping I could interest a catfish or two. I used a Kastmaster on my other rod, since according to the KDWP reports they were catching wiper and white bass on them.

Anyone know anything about icefishing on Cheney? I sure could use a few suggestions. Like what areas are most likely to produce and what baits to use.

The weather was nice, the ice beautiful and all in all, I had a good time and enjoyed myself immensely... except for drilling the holes. I have an 8-inch manual auger and drilling through 10 inches of ice is a lot of work! If I do this a lot, I'll get a power auger.

2. 257bob

257bob New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas
    I haven't been out yet, but I have been missing it this year. Might try to get out on a little local lake here in Salina tomorrow afternoon to check out the ice. Good luck and be safe.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I try to go every year. havn't been out this year yet. I mainly drill a bunch of holes till I find the fish. A shad sounds really big for bait this time of year. I use a single wax worm on a small jig. The fish just arent real agressive in the winter and I go after anything from perch to bass so you want a bait that will appeal to all. Smaller is better in my opinion. Biggest thing is be safe on the ice.

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I cant say ice and fish in same sentence.

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You and I are on the same page brother.:handshake:

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont partake in that type of fishin but a buddy of mine was at Cheney yesterday and caught a 5 lb wiper through the ice. He was fishin on the North end of the lake.
    Be careful, and dont go alone. Good luck.

7. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have been out to Hillsdale a few times. The ice is plenty thick out there, but right now they have been dropping the lake. So you drill your holes and the water is down in the hole about 4 to 5 inches deep. WEIRD!! Anyway, have only caught a few crappie and a white bass. That's it. Really haven't turned on yet.

8. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    I was thinking about fishing further north next time I go. I'll also try some smaller offerings. With warmer weather forcast for this week and next I'm not sure how long safe ice will last, so it may be a few weeks before I get to go again.
    I know it sounds cold, but I dressed for it and had no problem staying warm. Also, I didn't have to worry about mosquitos, mud, and crowds out there. It was vey quiet and peacefull.
    This summer, I plan to take my boat and try to mark some areas with structure so I can hit those places next winter.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    This 50 degree weather is nice. I hate to say it, but I hope you dont get a chance to go ice fishin again. :smirk:
    Boat or bank fishin sounds so much better.:wink::biggrin:
    My buddy said that there were dozens of people there when he was there. You got lucky to have the peace and quiet.:good:Out of all of those people he said maybe 5 fish were caught.

10. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It sounds like your right arm may become your "power auger" if you keep drilling holes w/ it!

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i was wondering what would happen to the ice if the lake went up or down. that would be scary.