anyone from the council bluffs area

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by payton350, Sep 1, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wanted to touch base with someone else from this area to kind of see what the fish are biting on. I have personaly had great luck with 5 to 10 pound cats with raw shrimp.

2. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. I couldn't tell you, I am downstream from you. But I am sure someone will come along and help you out.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Welcome Aboard the BOC Train Aaron,Yup this old Boy is from Council Bluffs also. well I fish Cats every chance I get.I fish the Missouri River Mostly,I have a River cabin up by Blinco Ia. I Also like to fish Miszingo lake just east of Mareysvill Mo.Super Fishery for 10/12 pound Channel cat. I Mostly use fresh cut bait,Bluegill or skipjack.I also use them Live when i am targeting Flatheads and Blues.Good Luck and check the library out, there is alot of Good info in there.Glad to have you on board.J.D.:0a25::0a25::0a25::0a23::0a22::0a20::0a17::0a18:

4. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Hi, I`m new to BOC also. Welcome. I live in Sioux Center and fish the Big Sioux. I would like to try Shrimp and have a question. I looked in the Walmart freezer and it looks pretty confusing. OK so which shrimps do I buy? I have been a Sonnys man in the past. I took a lot of years off from catfishing so now I want to try new things. Thanks.

5. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Walmart is were I get my shrimp. I like the 60-80 raw shrimp with tail and shell, you can get fresh or frozen, both work fine. I have always wanted to fish the big sioux but I don't know were to fish:big_smile:

6. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Hey thanks for the shrimp info. Do you use that size whole? that looks like a big bait but maybe I am crazy. I would be happy to share all the info I have on the Big Sioux but thats not much. I just started catfishing it this summer. 20" is about my max so far. Heres the funny part. My dad has been trying to give me his boat for yrs. I always had no need for a jon boat, dont fish small rivers. Now I really need one and I dont have one. So as soon as I drive my pickup to Bettendorf I have a jonboat also. The day I pick that thing up every fish in the Big Sioux will feel a shiver.

7. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Yep born and raised here. Fish the river mostly.

8. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes I do use the whole shrimp with a 2/0 or 3/0 cirlce hook, you have to hook it through the top meatier part and then kind of fold it to hook through the tail, the shrimp stays on good and the fish get hooked.:big_smile: Hey Mo river man, I have never been out fishing for flat heads and want to really bad got any advice

9. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Have not fished the Big Mo, but do fish the Mighty Miss. Talking of shrimp, I have used both raw and cooked. Honestly when the cat are hitting shrimp I can't tell the difference IMO. I too use the circle hook and run it once through the thick end of the bait and back to and through the slim end. Good luck!

10. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Thanks guys thats very helpful.