Anyone from Cedar Rapids?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Catfish_Calvin, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im working up here in Cedar Rapids this week and i just found out ill be heading up again Monday and working all week. Does anyone know of any good places to catch a few catfish after work? I seen there is Cedar Lake and also the River. I was thinking about bringing my boat up but didnt know if it would be worth it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm from cedar falls but I know people who have caught some nice flatheads below the dam in C.R. they have had success along where they have that tree sculpture on the east side of the river downtown.

3. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if theres a boat ramp near by or is that part of the river closed to boats?

4. Cat_man_CF

Cat_man_CF New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No problem, not sure on the boat ramp they always fish from shore there. I have not fished it myself but I don't think you can get a boat up that far.

5. carpdoctor

carpdoctor New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in the Cedar Rapids area and do a little catfishing. I am new to the sport. I live about 5 minutes from the wapsi and 20 min from the cedar. We have been catching a lot of channels on the wapsi. I don't believe there r any flats in there though. This past weekend we caught 5 flats on the cedar. Both rivers r very low. I don't know what type of boat u have or what type of fish u r after. By the way cedar lake is a small downtown lake by quaker oats. U can't get a boat in there other than launching a small jon boat. It is a great place to catch bait but that is about it. It is nasty.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I grew up in Iowa City and fished Lake McBride and Coralville Reservoir all the time. We used to fish a lot under Mehaffee Bridge. We would get down on the rip rap and we used to pull tons of channel cat out of there, mostly on the north-east side. I know there are flatheads in there as well. If you continue northeast on Mehaffee Bridge Rd from the main bridge, there is another smaller bridge that we would fish the south bank on both sides of the bridge, in the state park. Another great fishing spot is the slew below Coralville dam, which is down closer to Iowa City.

If you can still get in there, the bank from Sugar Bottom wasn't bad either.. I never had a boat, but those were some good bank spots. Both Sugar Bottom and Lake McBride State Park have boat ramps, I believe...

Good luck!