anyone fishing this July?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by DLB-in-GR, Jul 25, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I have only gotten out twice this month, the weather here in W. Mich hasn't cooperated at all with my schedule. I wondered if anyone else has gotten out, how they did, where they went, etc? Not much traffic on this section lately, the cold Michigan summer is messing with us. I hope to get out on the Kawkawlin River in Bay City with my buddy on the 7th of August, but might not get into catfish, I'm there for whatever I can catch and I am his guest, so I might not fish much.

Good luck to you, happy fishing, and GO TIGERS!
    Doug

2. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Doug, like you it has been tough gettin out much especially with the crazy weather. I did get out last week and met up with Tony and we tossed out 6 lines with assorted flathead candy in the Grand River. It was a cold night, and Tony caught a small channel, and about a 7.5lb flathead. We called it a night around 1:30am. Not much really to report, how has Sessions been? I was thinking of going out there today possibly. Good luck.

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Its been a couple of weeks since I was out there, my last trip was to Little Brower Lake in Rockford for 'gills. Oh, I forgot about the trip I made to the small private lake in Grandville (I'm not sure it has a name) with 3 good friends, that was the 16th and we didn't get out until right after the cold front had come through. That front pushed the fish deep, and we were on shore, so just a few bass and large panfish were caught, no catfish even though I had two rods out. Just taking my buddy's kids fishing. We fished for about an hour, but it was really cooling off that night and nothing was biting well, so the kids got bored and we packed up.

Thanks for the report. I'd be thrilled with a 7.5 lb fish, even on a slow night.

4. 3589

3589 New Member

State:
    michigan
    I fished the breakwall at lake Michigan there last night with some success, do any of you folks ever fish there?
    Bob

5. deerhunter3161

deerhunter3161 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yes there is fish in these waters but right now I see theres a change water alittle cold but there also a bunch of hatching going on of wigglers, or mayfly hatch's . and I see that the fish are feasting well on them here in the thornapple river . The last two nites fished till 1am morn , sunday nite only caught two channels and last nite we had caught 6 good channels and a good channel of 25"". Gonna try again tonite hopefully we get back into them again and this time we'll catch more fish .
    Scott

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I finally got out this afternoon and caught 4 from shore at Sessions fishing from 2-6:30pm, the bite wasn't hot for me. At least I did not get skunked. I caught small bluegill at the boat launch dock, tried that both live and cut, and Secret-7 to no success, not even bites, but Sonny's produced 4 with several missed bites. Don't they always bite when you are rebaiting the other rod, or retying something, and can't reach for the rod in a hurry. I held onto one rod because the bites were light, set the hook as soon as I saw the line start to swim off. In June they were hammering the Secret-7, today I could not get a bite on it.

Stink bait is weird that way, it usually pays to carry 2 or 3 kinds of it because the old standby might not work that day or that time of year, or in that lake. Sometimes you need several types of bait available, maybe something like livers would have been more productive this time?

The mosquitos are so bad that they will carry you away. If you go out there, wear and bring your 40% deet spray, you will need it.

I think there were only 3 boaters out today. Nobody on the handicapped dock either, not many fishermen at all today when I was there.

7. douglasd

douglasd New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It's been about the same way near Lansing. I'm about 20 miles NE of Lansing, and it seems that every free day I get, the weather is bad. We really haven't had that many good days this year.

8. Northstar

Northstar New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Fishing has been great this year. I am having the best year yet. Large fish and numbers are the norm. I have been fishing all over the place. Just got back from Lake St. Clair. The fishing there was also good.