Anyone fishing the Shelbyville tourney this weekend?Aug 2nd

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by capnmac59, Jul 29, 2008.

1. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Was wondering if anyone is fishing the tourney at Lake Shelbyville this weekend? Is launching out of Eagle Creek at 7p.m. Saturday evening. Fished it last year at got 64 lbs of cat. Prefished a little this past Sunday and had 3 in about an hour. Biggest was 15 lb.

2. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    We are gonna try it. We fished it last year and had 25 lbs give or take. We had a real good time. We were the only pontoon boat in the group. It came in handy when the storm hit. We tried prefishing a little bit last week or so but we really have no clue on that lake. Especially when the water is that high. I think we will try anyway. Good Luck.

3. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    go to the north end of the lake above the fox harbor bridge...they have been catching some nice fish for the first half mile above the bridge...then from there on up they have not been doing so good...find the old river channel and you will find the fish............

4. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    I will have to look on the map to find that bridge, but I might have to try it. Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking of drifting shad/shrimp. I had a tough time netting enough shad to fish with last week. If that doesn't work I will go witht he dip bait in some shallow water(if there is such thing this year).

5. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    Is that the rail road bridge or am I not far enough north?

6. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow! that tourny sounds like fun! I drive over the sullivan beach bridge everyday on my way to work. The lake is way up guys.

Good news on the shad though, i've been seeing them schooled like crazy every monring and evening. I can see them from the road so I would think you could find them pretty easy. Not sure of the size though.

If there are anymore tournys this summer than please post them guys. I would love to give it a whirl. Heck, if I didnt have to go win a state fastpitch title down in altamont this weekend I would definitely be there :wink:!

Good luck guys!

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    if you look on a regular atlas you will see route 32.the bridge is just a few mile's south of Sullivan ILL.I know of a couple of flathead's caught up there last week a 48 and a 40..a buddy of mine know's the guy who caught them and seen them for his self ...so I don't think it just another fish story..good luck to everybody that fish's this weekend's tournement.....

8. RBBH

RBBH New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks slick.

9. mcafee79

mcafee79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    shelbyville is my favorite lake to fish but have only been there a couple times this year due to the high water. i usually fish the wilbourn creek area south to the findlay bridge. anyone had any luck in this area? what depth are the fish being caught? its hard to find shallow water. good luck!

10. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we caught ours in 16 ft of water on a ridge. as far as shad we threw the net 2 times and had 30 big shad. they were deep in 18 feet of water or so. alsoi caught a drum that sunday night that was about 15 pounds!!! ugly fish

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    If you go above the bridge at fox harbor ....first let me say I'v been fishing Shelby for at least 30 year's exspecialy the upper end..I'v seen the river in it's bank's clear down to wilburn creek....I would say I know that stretch of river/lake as good as anybody...now back to the bridge.....you will be going east after you pass the marnia...go not quite a quarter of a mile ..on the same side as the marina's [north side] there is a long point that run's out to almost the middle of the lake...out on the end of this point there is some rock and gravel...this point come's up to with in 50 yard's of the old river channel...you are basicly straight across from the big creek that come's out of the little town of Bruce..maybe just a touch further up than the mouth of the creek at Bruce..this has alway's been a producer of large number's of fish..I don't know how easy it will be to find with the lake at 14 foot above normal...if you do any good in there please post some pic.'s......

12. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    oh yea one more thing I talked to an old timer over there that caught some big blues and channel's in the same location [or close to] last week..And if this guy tell's you something you can bet your last dollar it's the truth as he know's it..he caught all his fish[and here we go everybody that reads this is going to say old Slick has lost his freaking mind]on chunked up boneless chicken breast soaked for two day's in grape kool-aid...

13. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    well we just got two inch's of rain in the last hour and a half ..I live 25 min.'s east of lake shelby....that aint going to help the fishing this weekend I bet....

14. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    The flathead in my avatar was caught very close to the same place Slick is talking about. Folks I know call it the "fish hook" area. I have caught a lot of flatheads and big channels in that area. As far as I know, there are no blue catfish in Lake Shelbyville but there are some big channels that are blue colored. As much as I used to trotline that area, if there were blue catfish, I would have caught them. I used to get serious about cat fishing that area.

The flathead picture is about 20 years old and, it has been about that long since I put out a trotline. The best month for big cats in that area is May. They say all of the big flatheads in the North Kaskaskia winter in deep holes in that area, them travel back North when the water warms.

I have caught a lot of channel catfish in the creek (Whitley Creek) in the past but I haven't fished for catfish at Lake Shelbyville for a number of years. It is just too easy to fish at my home. But, we don't have the flatheads that "fish hook" has here at home.

15. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    So you guys from Sullivan? I was born and raised there and left 25 years ago. Was always fun fishing that lake. Dad and i have caught a lot of cats from around Bo Wood area also.

16. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Well I have caught a few blue's from Shelbyville, but the most common are the channel's ..I know two guy's in the early 80's that hauled 100's of blue's up from the KY. river and put in lake Shelby.I'm sure that a few of those reproduced...I haven't fished it in afew day's [not year's]but when I was there it was still to high .I don't think they will get the lake drawn down till late fall .That is if it dosen't rain every other day like it has been..

17. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Slick, I know you ain't nothin' but an ole river rat, (high praise on this board) but there is not any blue catfih in Lake Shelbyville. The State Biologist for the lake, Mike Mounce, office is only a few miles from your house, go ask Mike. It is just like the lake I live on, everytime someone catchs a big blue channel, they call it a blue catfish. The moderator needs to post a link with pictures describing the difference between blue catfish and channels. Rex, I am very sure you catch blue catfish on the WAbash, but, you don't catch them at Shelbyville. I would love to see the state stock Shelbyville with Blue Catfish, it would be a great addition.

18. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    well I know those boy's threw a few in there year's ago they would get them at a fish farm when they would go to get shad gut's in KY. 8 to 12 incher's.I personaly seen 500 in plastic live tank's dump in at fish hook......I thought about calling Mark V. tonight but I never know what's up ..but would like to know how Colin's doing...I don't know why they don't stock blue's at your lake Dave .I would think they would thrive in there with the shad base that lake has..I would trade them some deer for some blue's...lol....

19. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I know you can't see the fin very good in these pic.'s but this fish wieghed 42 pound's would you say it's a blue?....I thought it was because it's to big for a channel......it's opening morning of squirrel season 'Im going for a short hunt this morning...too hot but I'v got a43 year old, in a row streak I want to keep going...

Attached Files:

20. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    My guess,without counting the rays on it's anal fin, I would bet that it is a blue catfish. A 20 pound channel is a huge one but they do get bigger.

Frances Gail called Mark's house and talked to Colin's sister. She said her mother was staying with Colin at the hospital and Mark was staying with him on the weekends. She said he did walk a little.

I would love to see blue catfish introduced in several local lakes. It is very illegal to introduce them your self and not a good idea any way. While they are not an invasive species, disease could be introduced through them. There is some reason they are not in the upper Kaskaskia or Embarrass Rivers naturally or in the local lakes.

It will be interesting to see if any blue catfish are caught at the tournament Saturday. I would bet a shiney nickle none will be caught.