Anyone fishing the rivers?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by IA Flatcatter, Mar 12, 2009.

1. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Is anyone out trying to fish the rivers now? I know that they are pretty high but I was wondering if anyone was doing any good anywhere like Montrose or backwaters? Also when and where do the white bass (stripers) start hitting? I have heard stories about catching them below the dam at Keokuk, sounds like fun!:smile2: I snagged a couple nice Spoonies down at Keokuk last weekend before the flood, havn't been since.
    larry

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Larry the feedbag is on and they are starting to hit hard....fresh bait is still being elusive but its commin round nicely..you head this way give me a holler ....I am movin round and gotta have it (LOL)

3. DaleJrFan2008

DaleJrFan2008 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live in Sioux city,Channels are starting to hit on cut chub and cut skipjack seen a 18lb channel come out of the mouth of the Floyd

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I stopped by Faulkners access -just below Oakland Mills- 4 boat trailers. Thats a lot for 1 day.Then I stopped by a friends cabin and 3 more boats went by. They don't go that way if they ain't going to put in. Also 5 people were bank fishing
    I also checked out a new to me bank fishing spot and found a bank pole in the mouth if a small creek.
    But I did count 10 soft shell turtles sunning themselves.
    Also only 5 people bank fishing at Oakland. Three more in a boat.
    The anticipation is there. But are the fish?????
    Not that I could see.

Have a good 1
    just

5. aicenbice

aicenbice New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Stripers are definitely hitting hard. Northern's are starting to hit as well. I had 3 2lb'ers last Sunday at the Coralville Dam on the Iowa River side. Haven't had much luck with walleyes yet. I did catch a couple of last year's brood a couple weeks ago. I've had the best luck with stripers biting on rubber minnows and a jig head. I also caught a 2lb channel cat on a chub tail.