Anyone fishing the Patuxent?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Oct 7, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Anyone been catfishing on the Patuxent River, specifically between Upper Marlboro and Benidict. I took my new boat out to break in the motor and without any real effort at all caught a nice fat 5 lbs channel on some preserved shad in about three minutes. I was considering giving it another shot - curious of others experiennces.

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I haven't been back on that river was there in july for our tournament and the water was hot, We are had a hard time finding fish then but will fish it again in the spring got all my time in them big cats on the potomac river now till late march.

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    How far downriver, below the Rt 231 Benidict Bridge, can I go and still expect on the fish - I figured the salinity level would be too high much further south.

4. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Haven't fished down that way for a while now...Chalk Point Power Plant (warm water discharge) was my downriver limit. River is full of great cats and carps. You can get a very good map of river and surrounding topography with historocal notes, sounding numbers, etc from Jug Bay Refuges on either side of the River. PM me if you need more info...I work for AA County Parks and can get you phone numbers and costs etc.

5. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
  6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey Pat i'm looking for a park that up river from benidict bridge. Talked to a guy who said it would be a great place to hols our tournament. But i lost the name of it he said it had two ramps . If you know of any place above benidict that can handle a tournament next seaon let me know so i can check into it
    Thanks

7. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I live in Golden Beach and fish the Pax often. I've caught channels as far down as St. Leonards creek with no problems. Most of the fish you'll catch are up to 4 - 5lbs. In the summer, I like to fish Swanson's Creek, right where it narrows in the back of the bay. It goes from 2 ft to 10ft in that little channel. If you know what you're doing or have a smaller boat, you can go further up the creek where it hugs a high bank. You'll catch a mix of channels and white cats which are very aggressive. The creek runs about 10 ft for a pretty good ways and has lots of structure.
    Give Hunting Creek a try too. It has holes as deep as 16ft and has LOTS of fallen trees for structure. I like to throw cut perch on ta bobber about three feet down around the trees and bank. You can also do real well on stripers, yellow and white perch in these spots. Hope that helps.

Mike

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hello Mike I will have one tournament on the Patuxent in 2007 would like to be up river from benidict. Still looking for a place up that way have MAryland fisheries looking. Maybe you can join us and fish its going to be a great season next year.