Anyone fishing the Ohio River at West Point

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Sep 20, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Anyone fishing the Ohio river around west point this weekend? I am hoping to make it out there on Sunday morning, hopefully it all works out. I have some boat maintenance to do on Sat and then I have the task of convincing my wife that fishing is EXACTLY what she wants me to do on Sunday......... sometimes its easier than others. Made her a big breakfast this morning, maybe that will help! If you are at West Point and see the guy in a blue/white boat that don't seem to be catching anything........come up and tell me your secrets!:wink:

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Hey Ranger
    WElcome to West Point. I hope to be out there myself Sunday AM. Have you tried Salt River yet??? My fishing buddy and I will be in an old Jon boat with an old motor, don't go real fast! If you are not having any luck, try the Indiana side or go a little past West Point down stream. I'll keep an eye out for ya.
    Linda

BE SAFE

3. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I had another idea, go upstream to the LG&E power Plant past the last barge and fish at 16-17 feet. Caught 2 really nice Channel Cats which made for the best catfish I have ever eaten.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I do pretty well down by otter creek. The Salt is too busy for me, every time I put my lines out somebody buzzes by and screws my whole set. I will look out for you. I will probally be arriving there at the ramp around 0530-0600 so that I can be in position by sunrise. Going for a total of 40 lbs on Sunday. Last week I got my highest total of the year, 20 lbs, so now I have to top that. Wife has officailly given me permission so I should be all set!

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I havent had my boat out this year and probably wont. Id say try the power plant, I dont think Ive ever gone there and not caught fish. Get some skipjack if you can and hold on. BTW watch out for the barges if you go down there. Ive never had much luck at salt river. Have caught a few under the bridge and off the bank but nothing to brag about.

6. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck this weekend.Just reading about all of the talk makes me want to go right now.Ive had pretty good luck at west point at the salt and also up or down the river several miles.Got a twelve gallon gas tank just to scout alot of river( run a jon boat with a tiller handle so it's tiresome )but well worth the trouble.I love the mighty ohio river you never know whats fixing to grab your offering. There is monsters down there.You know something i go most of the time at night during the week by myself but if i don't catch a thing( which has happened many many times )the peacefulness the stars the sounds of mother nature is priceless to me.It's good for the mind and spirit.

7. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Good luck Riverrat !!!!!The avatar that I use is a 44.8 lb. Blue from the Salt.:big_smile:

8. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm thinking of hitting the salt this weekend if it doesnt rain to much did pretty well there last weekend up at pondcreek and salt but im thinking of fishing on the Dixie beach side this weekend

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i put my boat in salt river at westpoint quite often but i go down river as far as brandenburg bridge . lots of places to catch nice fish , you have deep holes or shallow mud banks to sand bars .all are exellent places to find big fish i ve had fish on up to 90 lbs or better but my largest fish ive got in the boat is a 74 lber around otter creek . you never know where the fish are going to be . always check several differant typoes of structure mud bank, gravel bank, rocky bank ect. they are there you just have to locate the active fish it may take a minute.