Anyone fishing the big rivers around St. Louis?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 22, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just wondering if anyone has been fishing besides me and Willie?

It has gotten pretty quiet on the "Missouri Rivers" forum.

Even if you aren't catching anything let us know that. I'm starting to feel like I don't know what I'm doing, losing faith etc.

Bought a new boat and can't get a bite.:crazy:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I've been going out on a regular basis, probably 2 times per week. I'm fishing the Mississippi south of St. Louis. I've been catching a few dinks, almost everytime, but nothing worth talking about. I'm heading out this evening. If I do any good I'll let ya'll know.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for replying. I'll be heading out again Saturday sometime during the day.

I still keep thinking about that article I read sayin the Blues were not north of Alton. I know they are but I'd like to catch some to prove it to myself.

Maybe there aren't huge numbers of them?

Maybe there are some Hawgs if no one concentrates on them in this stretch of river?

Again, maybe I don't know what I am doing?

Maybe it is the spawn?

I am new to fishing the river.

I deserve to catch a fish. LOL

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm tellin Darryl, don't get to discouraged man...I bought my boat back in 2004 and thought to myself...OH BOY, now that I have my own boat I'll really tear into those big brutes!!...that was simply not the case. I didn't boat my first blue until the very next summer! Unfortunately these fish aren't as easy to catch as some people may think! I have spent sooooooooooooooo many hours on the river these past few years and am now just starting to feel confident about going out and putting a fish in the boat! I literally spent WEEKS on the water this spring and never boated a fish! In order to really start to understand the river and the fish that you are targeting, you really need to spend ALOT of time out there. And YES you will get skunked!!!!! You have to have ALOT of determination and the will to succeed in order to start catching these darn fish!!

I'm not telling you this to discourage you or anything like that...I am speaking from experience, BELIEVE ME!! I have been through it many many times! I hope you have some success and lots of fun!

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Been out twice this week and skunk-ola. If it was easy, catching them wouldn't be as rewarding. I'm not even doing any good on the eaters. Ran sonar over the dam 25 tailwaters wednesday and didn't see anything of any size.:tounge_out:

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Bill aren't you the one that owes me pics of your SeaArk Mods?

Someone put the rear bench seats forward and facing aft, maybe it was you?

Anyway, good fishing to all.

If anyone knows their way around catching Blues (or Flats) I'm willing to bring my boat.

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Darryl, you're right I do owe you some pictures, however my daughter broke my camara and now I can't even take pics of any of the fish I catch:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Mike, Bill and Gary.

I suppose I feel a little better. At least it isn't just me not catching fish (so far at least).

I'm so desperate I'm ready to try a night trip.:eek:oooh:

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    They say 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water and they don't always stay in the same 10%. Start learning the portion of the river you're going to concentrate on. Learn the bottom, the currents, the eddies, the structure, study it at different times of the day. It's like everybody says, it's time on water. See ya out there!:big_smile:

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Okay Mike, thanks for all the riddles........errrrrr I mean advice.

I know there will be a big DUMB fish in one of these holes eventually that will fall for my fresh cut piece of bloody shad.:roll_eyes:

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Wish I could tell you something, but I haven't been out fishing at all since I was out last Saturday night with Chris. Been thinking about it all week after catching that 10lbs. blue and can't wait to get out again. But, don't know when I'm gonna have the opportunity. Anyway good luck and let us know, I think all of us are waiting for someone to come off the river telling us stories of how the fish were just jumping in the boat.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well now that you mentioned it Michael I had 3 flying carp jump in the boat within 10 minutes of launching. LOL

So I guess I have in fact found a fish I can catch! Ha Ha!:cool2:

That was fun for the kids for a while. (Ok, me too) but will get old pretty quickly. I'll keep one or two though as back-up bait in case I can't find shad.

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use those flying carp for bait and chum. Cut em up and chunk em out there..

Im still waiting for flyboy to get his feet back on earth before I can get to go out.. Cuz?? you there? Paging Cuz? Sighhhh.. Not even on hold... Still Waiting!!!

14. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    It is such a tough time right now because few fish are being caught, and (aside from the catfish spawn) all other factors really point to good fishing (good weather, cool nights, open weekends, summer fishing itch is there, etc).

This time of year, I typically head to AR White River or Mark Twain or Michigan for a weekend to catch fish (heading out for St Claire River muskey's on Thursday). I just wait this out until the fish pool up again in late July. It is not what you want to hear, but the month of June is a bad time to hunt cats. My opinion is to catch trout or stripers or bass or walleye and wait out the slump.

It is also a good time to wash and wax your boat and fix all the stuff you broke in May (2 rods, 3 trailer lights, 1 trailer guide, 1 cleat, 3 propeller blades).

If anyone ever thought catfishing makes for a cheep meal, they are off by about $124.00 per pound of catfish fillet (...and I let all my fillets go back in the water alive)!

CP

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    That was fun for the kids for a while. (Ok, me too) but will get old pretty quickly. I'll keep one or two though as back-up bait in case I can't find shad.

It's not legal to release one alive after it jumps in your boat.:eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Are you talkin about the carp or the kids?:lol:

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I hope it was Carp...cause if it's kids jumping in his boat I'm staying away from wherever Micus is fishing. I've got 3 kids now that are eating me out of house and home, can't afford to feed anymore.:big_smile:

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I always throw the slime rockets back in. I just wait until the end of my trip to do it!

A couple of suffocating carp flopping around in the transom bay always brings me the good luck.

CP

19. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Do you mean to tell me I am stuck with the damn things if they jump in the boat??

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    No, you just have to kill'em first before tossing them. The carp, not the kids. Fortunately my youngest is 22. Kid I mean, not carp.:wink: