Anyone fishing lake olathe yet?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well barbel and i are for sure(you here that barbel... for sure lol) and i was just seeing how the fishing conditions are, cause i went to the kansas conservation sight and looked at the fishing report and last time lake olathe was update was in november... so if anyone has been up there lately just tell me how you have been doing.
    :0a35:

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Not much is caught this time of year from Olathe. Once the shad really get active in the creek arm then you can sometimes catch the channels there. If we get a heavy rain then the cats will stack up in the creek. Fishing the flats can be hit or miss this time of year. Once it warms enough to fish at night then the flats are hard to beat. You can also try fishing the dam, most people use live green sunfish and cast as far as they can. Some underwater rock bed or something out there where the cats tend to hold.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Rumor has it the channels are hitting hard on the flats off worms and cut shad. No big ones, but numbers of eatters have been caught. Shad should be in the creek arm, too:)

4. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    I haven't fished the lake for 31 years. It was a good lake back then. There was a bait shop close run by a EX-Marine GYsgt. We had a ball I had just came back from Viet-nam after being there 3 years. I served five years in Marine corp recrutiing in Overland Park, Ks and lived in Olathe. Rent for a one bedroom apt was $ 150.00 a month and gas was $ .28 a gallon. I bought Dodge Duster for $ 3200.00 new off the floor. I was a Sgt and making $ 7000.00 a year and I was living good.
    Times has changed. The jet boats were just coming out and I remember being in one in the lake and he was doing figure eights and my hands were clamped to the boat rail because as we turned the Olds 455 motor was under water as we turned.
    We fish the lake every chance we got back then we could night fish all night long the cops would come down and have coffee with us. We got some good size catfish out of there. We were eating everything we took out of the lake except carp.
    The Kansas or Wyondot not sure what the correct name is now. I caught some good channels and flatheads working the drifts.
    Back then Kansas was a good sporting state but I'm sure it has changed alot. I remember crappie we caught by the five gallon buckets and we cleaned and eat them..

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thanks for sharing Bob. Olathe Lake is still a great lake, with big fish still in it. Ill be catching alot of them this summer, and posting the pics on this site. :)

6. johnyjo

johnyjo New Member

State:
    kansas
    they have flatheads in olathe lake?

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  8. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    my dad is taking barbel and I out there on sunday and we hope to do good but this weather right now is like a roller coaster cause i was 43 degrees on thursday and now today(friday) it almost got up to 70 degrees, so im not sure if there biting just yest but i am sure hoping

9. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yes, they are bitting. My brother caught several channels off the flats a couple days ago. He said they were running with it pretty hard. Almost circle hook time! :)

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Might be, Geoff. I have to train my hooksetting thing though, so I am going to stick with J hooks for the time being ;) Gotta be prepared for setting the hook on the flatheads. Thats what I do. Maybe we will see you there sometime?

11. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    wow what a story sarge my salute to you that makes me wish things were like that still and also so i could get a cuda for around the same price lol