Anyone fishing lake austin in Texas?

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by knapperheadmatt, Apr 18, 2006.

1. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i've caught some big bass from l.a. but never hear of anyone catching cats. i would think there would be some hogs in there. anyone fish for cats there?
    thanks ,matt

2. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    isnt lake austin a really clear lake? my sister and her husband used to live up there. there are alot of pretty creeks and lakes. i never had a chance to do any fishing.

3. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    lake austin is crystal clear. lots of hydrilla and rocks. it holds some monster bass but i never hear anything about catfish.may be an un tapped resourse.
    matt

4. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i saw a fishin show the other day that my wife was watching and they where fishing lake austin for bass. they were hittin the little creek run offs and terrin the bass up big and small. they were using a pink crawdad or lizard. something like that

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    A buddy of mine went bowfishing in Lake Austin and saw a bunch of cats up in the shallows feeding. He said a few of them were huge.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The main problems with Lake Austin are ski and jet ski boats and fairly limited access. When I lived in Austin ages ago, there were some guys that fished the lake up below the Travis dam and did pretty well on cats. The city park about midlake should also be good, especially at night and early mornings before the wave boarders and jet skis get busy. I guess there's still a boat ramp at the dam area, but even before jet skis became popular, that area used to collect a bunch of ski and speed boaters.