Anyone Fishing Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish & Wildlife Area

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishinpals, Jun 2, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Went fishing for channels yesterday eve at Prairie Lake just left of boat dock. We were using shad heads and got 8 fish with the largest being 4 pounds.
    Gridley Lake has some "BIGGINS". Seen them caught up to 20 pounds.
    Drake Lake, the newest to open should have some good eating size channels now.
    Some of the ponds produce some good channels also like, Geiss and Gurney.

2. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I was thinking about heading up there this weekend. I hear that there are crappie in two of the lakes there that were illegally stocked. Is there a size limit on them? I wouldn't mind catching a couple of crappies on my second pole.

Where are you catching the shad, btw? Are there shad in the lakes or do you have to catch them somewhere else?

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    No size limit or number on all panfish. A friend brought the shad. No shad at JEPCSF&WA. Gridley Lake is probably best for crappie and has larger channels. Have a great one!

4. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    Where is Geiss Pond located? My wife and I usually fish Gurney Pond, have not seen Geiss Pond before. We have pulled some nice channels out of Gurney, plus if you happen to catch a trout they are fun to catch.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Instead of turning into the big lake (Prairie Lake) turn the oppisite way. That is Geiss Rd. They might call it the bicycle trail. Go as far as you can, a mile maybe and turn left. You will see the pavillion and restrooms. The pond is behing the pavillion. Didn't know about it myself until last year and I live three miles from site M. there is some big snappers in there also.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    A co-worker and I repair the Coca Cola machines out there & I have fished during lunch break and Drake lake (didn't catch anything) but a guy came in off of the lake with a nice mess of channels.
    I would like to muskie fish in Prairie lake! :cool2:
    Didn't know about the other lake either...

Eric

7. katfishhunter

katfishhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    never fished the park but have pheasant hunted it. I also worked for the company,Freesen Inc., that done the road work on, I think ch 111 and gridley rd, was the name of the roads. Hear the fishing is pretty good though.

8. coadyadam

coadyadam New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have caught a couple nice ones at gridley lake last year. they have real nice cabins there also.