Anyone fishin kaw?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bigfish18, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Any one fish Kaw lately? Just wondering how the bite is.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I was down there the weekend before last and they were lettin out ALOT of water. The ramp below the dam was closed and I assume all of the ramps on the lake were underwater. They were droppin it pretty fast.
    I am not sure what its like now. I didint catch anything there and didnt see anyone else catchin anything. If they let the water back a little I am sure the fishin below the dam would be excellent.

3. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Kaw must have some monster cats because hardly any BOC members fish it. lol

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Its seems like most of the Okies have disappeared and dont post much anymore. The same goes for most of the states.:confused2: I wonder why?

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i'm still here reading and posting, but don't fish kaw or havent ever i should say, but i think most of the okies are still here, just lame or the same boring posts here sometimes, i dunno

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I agree with the monoteny(sp) of reading the same old posts. I also know that the site has changed from what it was. It would be nice to see the "old timers' come around and post more. I have read alot of the older posts and I wish I could have gotten to know some of the older members. For now I guess we will keep it alive.LOL.
    Thanks for responding.

7. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah man, not a problem , maybe i get bored easily, things should get stirred up here, when some big fish start back up, i myself haven't taken my boat out in over a good month, hell i've been so broke it's not worth me to go out and waste that high dollar gasoline for the boat yet

8. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i think the ole timer i miss the most would be ole katchaser. i think that was his screen name.. rays the real name though. one of the wisest, nicest ive ever ran into.. if that guys talkin, you should be listening. im sure hes ruling his section of the arkansas as we speak.

9. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    well lets see how this goes. went to bearcreek wednsday afterrnoon (10-1) fished the west side and went up to newkirk bridge fished shallow 3ft. or less 2 of us caught 45 cats no blues all on stinkbait. friday went to washunga and went north to the creeks caught 16 on stink bait 2 of us, caught 6 blues on 15 jugs, sat caught 3 blues on jugs in am, then loaded up and put in at coon creek went north fished brush in flats caught 11 small ones, headed up into the river to get out of 30 mph winds started fishing banks in 8 to20 foot water caught 18 in 3 lbs to 9 lbs again on stink bait just myself in boat today. there was 3 in the other boat they said the caught 33 nothing over 3 lbs. as far as water level it is stabilizing around 3.5 feet above normal (1010 elev.) fri thru monday the wind blew 20-25 mph out of sse. every body that was camped at washunga said they were only catching 2-3 blues a day biggest they said was 14 lbs. hope this helps water temp sat in river was 67.7 in lake71.6

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks Mike for the good report. Hopefully I can make it that way soon.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    hey dent,
    i had two buddies that should have been at washunga last week. i have not heard how they did. they fish jugs on both sides of the bridge. if you met them i know you would remember them, (bud and bill), great guys to BS with.

12. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ill be up there on the 18th for the tournament. Hope the fishing and weather holds up till then.

13. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hope you have good luck at tournamnt sat. the lake is coming up a little bit upper end looks like iits going to be dirty. cant make it this year have to work sat:sad2: were going to clevland on keystone the 25 hope the release a little more out of kaw this coming week sure would help us. back to kaw water is cooling and they are moving out alittle deeper i could not go the 11 my partner and a friend of his went to washunga caught 26 6-9 lbers up in creeks in 8-10foot said half were blues half channels. again caught on stinkbait.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the report Mike.
    Thats a pretty nice average for stink bait.

15. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks. believe it or not that is all we fish with unless we are jugging. there is about 10 people from our area that fish kaw on stinkbait all of us do good on it. some us sonnys, some use wicked sticky, we use harths i belive the reason why we do so good is everybody buys it 1-5 gal at a time. also when u use stinkbait you really need wind for it to work in the lake (not a lot of current in the lake) use the wind as your current. i try and fish 3-4 days a week if work will let me. pound for pound year in and year out you will catch more lbs. on stinkbait than anything. pb on stink bait is 23lbs. if you want to catch a lot and have fun you cannot beat it. ps i use turkey hotdogs cut in 1/3 soaked in strawberry soda on my jugs pb is 26lbs. hope this helps. just remeber if there is no wind fish yesterdays wind.

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the info.
    I grew up fishin there, mostly below the dam and on Coon Creek and Traders Bend. My Dad and I (mostly him) caught alot of nice ones there. He passed away 2 years ago and we spread his ashes below the dam. That lake is in my blood. I dont make it down there as much as I would like to. Alot of high water and gas prices put a strain on that.
    If you ever want to meet up down there and go fishin, let me know. I would be glad to help out with gas and all. I dont get to use my Ok license enough.:sad2:

17. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    anybody here how it went? havent been able to get on lake since the 10-8. did not know if anybody done any good or not.

18. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    We had perfect weather as far as temps go but the wind was dead out of the east when we started....severe case of lockjaw on the fish. Big fish was a 10 lb channel. Winning weight was just over 20 lbs. Several teams did not catch any fish. On a good day at Kaw, 100 lbs plus is what it should have taken to win.

The Fall Festival was a neat thing for the kids....lots of activities for them. I think we may add a kids tournament next year to get them more involved with fishing. I will keep you updated as we get more info on that.

19. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    what tourney was this, and when was it ?

20. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    It was the Oklahoma C.A.T.S. tourney on 10/18....you can ck the website for schedule or in the tournament section on BOC