Anyone fished the North Canadian up near Jones/ Luther?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by oh_darn, Jan 18, 2008.

1. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    My friends dad says he caught a 40 pounder up there, but he wouldnt tell me how long ago, or what bait he used. He says he put it back, but from what I've seen, it doesn't look like that stretch of river could hold much of anything over 5 pounds. Shallow water for a quarter mile either way, and a solid clay bottom. But then again, I'm pretty new at targeting the big cats, so I could be wrong. Anyone else fished it?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    long, long time ago. Caught a bunch of dinks. Maybe one of them could have grown to 40 pounds by now. If a person fished it right after a typical spring flood, he MAY catch a large cat, but I wouldn't even bet on it then. If I was you, I think I'd concentrate on the red near the tail end of Texhoma.

3. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    thanks awshucks. ill give that a shot

4. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont let that river fool you ive seen some big flatheads and channels come out of there.biggest channel cat was 17 pounds
    caught on stink bait.
    flatheads were 44 41 37 and 24 all caught on live bait.
    the 24 was mine and im proud to say i caught it on a large shiner and used a abu5000 and a shimano fightin rod.
    find a deep hole or a river bend theres some over there in jones under the bridge i been told.

5. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Have caught a number of nice flatheads out of the North Canadian just west of Spencer. Like most people 'll say just hunt for wholes, structural changes like rock and wood cover will help out quite a bit.

6. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    And a side note i've seen a great deal of 40lb. plus flatheads come out of creeks so don't think you have to fish a large body of water to tangle with trophy class fish.

7. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Thanks y'all. I think I'll give it a shot sometime soon. Maybe next weekend.