anyone fish the smokey hill river

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    about ten trips is what i make to the smokey hill river the biggest flatie was a 30lbr but channels have avaraged 10lbs in the spring and then 2-5 lbs in the summer
    if anyone goes to that area above kanopolis i have a good spot i go to and would love the company
    anyways the gas is high so anyone wanting to help split the bill is welcome

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I might wanna try that out. When are you thinking of doing it?

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    I always go in the spring like last week in march and in april when the moon phase is right

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I've mostly just looked at the Smoky Hill River as I was going by and wisht
    I had the time and a place to put in the boat. Silly of me since it is closer
    than some of the other spots I've tried. Can I come along? You seem to
    have this permission thing down and I always feel like I'm going to get
    shot at when I walk up to most of them pilgrims.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yes you sure can just waiting for warm weather and waters contact me when the weather warms up k

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I wouldnt mind getting in on that trip also , if someone has an extra seat in the boat. I could chip in on gas and whatever else. Thanks. :big_smile:

7. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have not fished there since I was a kid. My grandpa would take me there when he would get off work. He pass away about three weeks ago and let me tell you I will never have a better fishing partner. (sorry Gary) I remember him telling me that I want to drown the worm not beat him to death by casting. lol O'well I'm sure he is up there right now reeling in a huge Flathead.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather CJ.I lost my Dad two years ago, fishing will never be the same.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    look at a map and you will see buckeye cemetary on the south west side of the river behind the lake about a mile or so from it
    there is a old dirt boat ramp there but dont go there if its raining you will have to stay a few days if you do ha ha
    but there are feeder creeks there and rock faces up river from there that are just full of flathead and channels
    to hard to fish from bank but if you can get a boat in there its great hope this helps anyone interested and best of all its public access for about five miles till u get to bunkerhill bridge best of luck
    just thought id share this bit of river with you folks

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    here are some picture of me and my family at the smokey last year hope you like them

Attached Files:

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    here are some more

Attached Files:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Gus do you guys setline for all those cats, or do you rod and reel some of them?:big_smile:

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well most nights i rod and reel and catch 80% other 20% i catch on set lines or trotlines to tell you the truth my wife dont like me to set lines because that means she has to sit on the bank byherself during that time
    so only set lines when i have a partner and that is only when i fish with jack love
    my personal best for channels on rod and reel is 46 in two hrs and only quit because we ran out of baite
    my personal best for flatheads is 8 in one night
    all fish i catch get released especially the 20plus pounders and only keep what i need for my dinner table
    hope that helps you out

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats great to hear Gus. I bought a mega cat video a while back and it was all setlining , but I did see them release all the big ones. I would like to come out there this spring and fish and set some lines with you fellas. :big_smile:

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    thank you and we do put all that that you see on the video to the test and more that we learn everyday
    you never know enough
    as far as the video you can use that knowledge and put it to use rod and reel and you will do just as good
    that is what i do and it works for me
    especially the baite i use carp about a pound and even on rod and reel they do catch fish trust me a flatie has a mouth that can swallow anything ha ha

get with me this spring and we will see
    always like the company

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good deal Gus , thanks.

17. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Is that dirt ramp located anywhere close to Smokey Hill bombing range? I'll be in the area for a week or two and I'm not familiar with the area. Thanks.

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    it is close to bunker hill cemetary there is a dirt road and yes it is on the map so look it up on yahoo
    just type in bunker hill cemetary kansas

19. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks uttatoo. I was able to find it on Yahoo. Do you know if the water deep enough to make it up that way if I launched at the lake?

20. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont know about right now but last summer the water was up high enough
    usually the water is up my friend said but the problem is getting thrue the weeds and small trees that grew in the shallows when the water was down
    i know the spot where the old boat ramp is it is about 5 foot deep most of the time and hardley any current there because the back current from the lake
    hope this helps