Anyone fish the San Joaquin River?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by BLACK MAC, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Anyone fish the San Joaquin River near Mossdale landing? if so, catch any good "KATS"?

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yes indeed brother....I don't hardly anymore, but fished Mossdale area a lot, and up along the deep river channel. I hope to get up there and do more though.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Troy, same here.... I used to camp there back a few years ago.... catch some good ones, and lost some "good ones" fishing up...... or south from Mossdale ..... up under the bridges and in the turn area there...... 35ft holes..

got to watch the water depth, and a shallow rock jetty in the "s-turn" after the island.....

I actually have gone up river some ten plus miles.....

Not sure if the trailer park south or up river from Mossdale landing is in operation now.......

have you fished that part of the river?

bayrunner ray

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Oh Yea"

:worship:That's my "Second Home" "Play-yard" "Place to get away from it all"!
    (if you know what I mean) :0a23:
    :wink:

5. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Thanks gilmafam, I have fished down by that trailer park and it is in operation... I have fished all over Mossdale landing never caught anything really big... but those were the days when someone told me "all you need is chicken livers", lol... Mossdale just looks like a great spot... I pass right by it on the I5 heading to and from work.

6. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif

Shania... I know exactly what you mean.

7. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Troy, across the river from the trailer park on the river road (on east side) is a launch ramp... and good parking .... I'm not sure if you have a boat or not... again on the trailer park side there is a ramp as well....

Do they still let folks camp there?

Anyway, If you park at the trailer park, and walk the river... up the river there is good bank fishing especially as the river makes turn to the right ....good deep holes....

bayrunner ray

8. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Thanks Ray, I may scout it on tomorrow... I don't know about camping but they are building new homes not too far away... and I think there is a road for construction that lead to the river on the northside. I will let you know what I find.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The pipe that is under the R&R track produces alot of shad.... Caught some nice stripers and cats right there:wink: Camped many times there at the camp ground (trailor park)

10. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Thanks i will give it a try...

11. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Got skunk'd today on the San Joaquin river near Mossdale... weather was clear but windy with a little chop on the water... people down from me were catching bass but I was going for catfish. I fished where the trailer park used to be... all in all a good day.

12. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Troy... got to get south of where you are fishing..... the water is shallow there... go up past the bridges as the river makes a turn... good deep water...

Nice to hear that you got out.....

bayrunner ray

13. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Thanks Ray... maybe I will try again tomorrow... I may pick up some livers to go with my punch bait.
    :cool2:

14. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Took your advice Ray... went about a mile in the direction you told me and had lots of bits and caught 9 small cats (about one foot in length and fat) on punch bait.

Attached Files:

15. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go Troy glad you got on some channel's ....What kinda punch bait where you useing:wink: Anyway glad you caught some kittey's today.

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Troy ... glad you could get out... deeper water just off the point as the river turns... 30- 40ft deep...

Like to get up that way myself..... sometime... maybe later in the year...

Bayrunner Ray

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    congrates on the catfish rick