Anyone fish the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by WhiskerWacker, Jun 2, 2008.

1. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Anyone out there fish the ohio post your story here.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nick - We have some Ohio River anglers here but they have been strangely quiet lately. :eek:oooh:

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Ohio is about 6 hours west of were we live.

Flatheads have been native to that river for literally thousands if not hundred thousand years.

There are big fish in there and someday one of you will be lucky enough to stumble upon the living room of one of these beast.

4. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I do pretty good down here above the Emsworth dam for flatheads up until a week ago. I have caught 6 over 40" on cutbait since the 21 of april. Now I am on the channel cats on the shallow flats anyone else having luck? If so describe your presentation. That is an interesting fact about the flatheads being here for thousands of years, I did'nt know that. Can anyone answer the question way we don't have blue cats and Ohio does, the climate can't be all that different. And you would figure that the blues over a thousand years would evole to adapt to the cooler climate?

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Westside needed those points.

6. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I will start in the e vs w shoot out hopefully tonight then, What are the rules? How big does one need to be for a point cause I have caught probably 20 fish over 25# so far this year? I was not sure if you had to sign up by a certain date or what, I am fairly new to the BOC.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    It's just flatheads they have to be 25 # or bigger. You'll need to post a picture too. It helps to show them hanging on the scale.

8. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    Hey thanks, too bad I did'nt know of e vs w a few weeks ago I was slamming flatheads like crazy, now the bite has seemed to slow a bit, hopefully I can land a few to help the westerners out, my biggest one this year was caught on 5-23-08 he was 43" and 36#.

Attached Files:

9. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    hey wisker i cant pm because i dont have 10 or more posts still a rookie.. im sure you know where the front channel is of the lock near bye (sorry guys cant give up spots) fished off the wall during light hours and havnt done any good besides a few mix bags of diffrent fish.. once i can pm wioll get into details and maybe hook up..

10. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    Sounds good. I grew up my whole life about a five minute walk from the front channel dam and I don't think I have ever caught a flathead off that wall, I have only seen a few in my whole life and I used to practially live down there. I catch some nice channels off of there though. Maybe I should give the wall another try for flattys it has been a while since I fish the down there since it has never been all that good. I remember when I was a kid I used to catch some serious channel cats down there when the water was high up in the creek that comes in there. I have also caught a 36 1/4" walleye on 6# test and a white 3" grub down there years ago he prob weighed 17#s or so I did'nt have a scale. But for flats never much luck there, I know of some spots up river from there that produce some nice fish we could meet up there or something, just message me when you want to go.

11. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    Hey, I thought that spot on your avatar looked familar...lol nice flat I see you caught on outta there. Maybe I need to take another look.

12. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey whiskers I fish the ohio with my son in law all the time, well let me change that a bit when ever we can get off at the same time. We fish the pool montgomery dam up to the next dam an from montgomery down to the ohio line, we have caught quite a few nice flattys dont really go after the channels but we do catch a few in the hunt for the flat heads, we do mostly night fishin using 12 or 13 inch frozen rainbows, live blue gills an live crappie. We must not be the only guys fishin it because we see lots of bank fisherman after dark an a few other guys like us out in there boats, so the word must be out that there just might be a flat head in the ohio river.............lol, the biggest we caught has been a 42 pounder, but lots of other nice fish also. take care an good fishin:0a22: