Anyone Fish The Diversion Canal This Weekend?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JustCats, May 29, 2006.

1. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was just wondering if anyone has fished the diversion canal from the bank recently. I had promised my son we would try it there again soon and will have to come in the next couple of weeks. Any info would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks
    Tony

2. fishfindersc

fishfindersc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I haven't fished the diversion canal but I was at Canal Lakes motel the other day and saw a couple of big flatheads. Got other reports of some big blues and flatheads being caught in the canal lately. It's the time of year to night fish that place. Seems better when all the boat traffic settles down after dark. Good luck.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fished out of Hills thursday night and the canal was loaded with boats early in the evening. Went on out on Marion and the bite was slow untill about midnight. After midnight things really picked up and we ended up with six nice blues with one weighing about 22 lbs. Then we tried a shallow flat and ended up catching a flathead that weighed 54 lbs. This was only the second flathead Ive ever caught but I cant get over how hard they hit and how hard they fight ! From what Ive heard about them from some of the other local guys they say its not often you catch them shallow using cut herring.

4. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My brother-in-law is supposed to be coming in tonight from a weekender there I'll see how he did when they get in and let ya know.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    We fished the lower lake on saturday, caught a dozen or so cats on cut herring and perch, but no size to them. There were quite a few boats in the canal, but I don't know if they were catching (didn't see any fish on as we passed through). There is very little current right now. The turbines at moncks corner are mostly running during the afternoon, and that's all. No water being released at st. stephen, and minimal flow at wilson's.

6. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They fished the upper lake(Marion) near the state park, but not the canal. Caught 5 10+ pounders at or near the river channel close to i95 bridge using shad.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy we finally ended up with 20 fish with one 26lb blue.We had to go into the little river in the trees to get that one.No wind sunday so we anchored on a hump and continued to catch the small ones with regularity.Good to see you and Bigboy again.We will be back down 4th of July,unless you tell me the bite has really picked up for big fish.:smile2:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, you guys had pretty good luck. Biggest one we had was only about 6#'s. We quit around 4:00pm, saw your boat tied up at the campground, but didn't see your vehicle, so we went on home. Most of the bigger fish I've heard about lately seem to be coming from the upper lake.
    Maybe we'll get up there again next time you're down. It was good to see you again, and to meet your son.

9. katdaddy

katdaddy New Member

State:
    anderson sc
    hey guys i fished the canal fri,sat,sun,mon stayed at hills landing no fish fri nite drifted the canal sat no fish sat nite anchored out near the lower lake at the power lines caught a 18lb flathead and some smaller blues on herring sun same story no fish during the day sun nite picked up a few before the wind got up mon morning caught 8 blues drifting they were pulling more water good current in the canal around 4:00 mon afternoon we were riding around and decided to go over into one of the cut through areas just up the canal from hills on the right we were shocked at what we saw must have been 30 to 40 lb cats swimming around in about 3 ft of water under the lilly pads we saw at least 15 of these big fish also alot of huge carp.I will be back down the 4th of july week and will DEFINETLY fish this area again i figure these fish must be in the shallows spawning right now.I also saw a skipjack running for his life for the first time in my life this fish was making 8ft long jumps 4ft high until whatever was chasing it figured out his timing and ended his last jump with a huge eruption in the water thats the last we saw of him.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Craig thanks for that report.That confirms what we have been experiencing out on the lower lake.You can load up on small fish but the bigger fish must be shallow spawning.Didnt catch anything over 10lbs drift fishing.Might have been a striper that caught up with Mr.Skipjack.By 4th of July the big fish will be back out of the shallows for the most part.I'll be at Harrys on the 4th so stop by.Red Chevy pickup white 21`ft center console with all white rods sticking up.:smile2: :big_smile:

11. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I had some friend that just got back from fishing for 5 days and my my what a mess of blues they brought back.I didn't had no room to put any more fillets in my frezzer,when they left.I can't wait until I am able to go down.:smile2: :smile2:

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim,
    Sorry I missed you on Memorial Day weekend, was out catching some perch when you came by. Wish I could have met you though. We ended up with 3 fish. 2 small channels and a 10 lb. blue. Had lots of bites in the cove across from Harry's but they were pecking at it. I did have one nice bite on a live perch but the cat just killed the perch and didn't come back for it. Anyway I probably wont' be able to make it until late summer or early fall next time. Where would be a good place to try that time of year? I have heard that drifting is probably the best tactic to use then. Any suggestions?

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Drifting is pretty much the method of choice then.If you have the fishing Hotspots map look at the lower lake and you will see many underwater humps.Drift the ones that top out at 18-22 ft as a mild thermocline sets up then and to far below that there isn't any oxygen.If you look at the upper lake right in front of the dam the river makes a huge horseshoe bend.Go to the top of that bend and drift back on a north wind or from marker 40 out on a south wind.That is if you wife will let you HAHAHAHA:big_smile: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.:smile2: Perch are very good for driting and stay on much better that herring although I try and use both.

14. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    HAHAHAHA,
    Rub it in Helring! I do what I want, when I want, where I want, and how often I want...(except when I have to do something for her):embarassed:! Are perch still going to be available at Harry's or where would they be at that time? Thanks for all your help. The fish were not biting like I hoped MMD weekend, but all in all it was a fun trip. Canal was FULL of boats that Saturday night. When are you going back down after July 4th?

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm usuallly down there at least once a month and do a few night guide trips also, which you would be welcome to come on if you can get a note from you know who.:lol: The perch are still there but there must have been a billion of them caught right there in front of Harrys.I try and go around the islands and usually catch all I want.They seem to really get with it about 2 hrs before dark and they do bite at night.We have fished at night up shallow and caught perch at the same time.I generally post when I'm going with a guide in case any BOC sters can make it.:smile2: