anyone fish ten mile creek strip pits

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by switchback, Aug 14, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live fairly close to Ten Mile Creek, And was wondering if any of you guys ever fish there too. Theres not many of the lakes with boat ramps but a few that have nice ones and some just dirt. I know from experience that some of these lakes are plum full of nice cats,crappie,bass,and monster bluegill. They all range in depth my favorite one has some forty foot plus water in it in a couple of spots. What they are is old strip mines that the state stocked and almost forgot about but man what a fishery. They are so hard to find some of them and not a lot of people fish them like other spots because of terrain but the fishing can be awesome.:big_smile::0a23:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some good holes, thanks for sharing and good luck fishing

3. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Strip mine, gravel pits, etc are usually good fishing. Most of the time only locals know about them and they are not fished often. There are some gravel pits in my area that get flood by the Wabash river a couple of times a year. The fishing is unbelievable, the fish are big fish and are always hungry. The gravel company marked the pits no fishing and no trespassing. But some of my pb fish have came from those pits.:tounge_out:

4. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where is Ten Mile Creek?

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Its in the Opdyke Bellrive area between Mt vernon IL and Mcleansboro. All it is is a bunch of old coal mines that the state turned into ponds and stocked they offer excellent fishing, and produce big fish.